To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Garnett
Job Title: Account Clerk I
THIS POSITION REQUIRES RESIDENCY IN ANDERSON COUNTY KANSAS
ACCOUNT CLERK I
Reports To: City Clerk/Finance Director
Under supervision of the City Clerk, the Utility Clerk performs a variety of clerical and accounting duties in maintaining and billing utility usage accounts, and keeping current, updated records of all utility customers within the city of Garnett. The employee in this position shares the responsibility for maintaining the computer files, utility fees and money collected. This employee will also answer any questions arising about a utility account.
Examples of Work
- Maintains the computer files and enters meter readings and account information;
- Enters maintenance information to customer accounts on the computer;
- Sets up new utility billing accounts;
- Balances cash drawers and cash receipts;
- Maintains accurate balance of bank accounts;
- Bills all utilities and sends out utility invoices and delinquent notices;
- Checks billing journals that have already been processed and reviewed by other account clerks;
- Reviews all final billed accounts;
- Checks adjustments and corrections of utility accounts;
- Checks utility security deposit information to make sure it is correct and that deposit report balances with deposit fund account;
- Accepts payment of utility bills through the mail or over-the-counter;
- Checks and logs month-end billing totals and consumptions, and applied credits posting;
- Processes warrants (accounts payable) on computer and prints checks;
- Maintains current list of dog tags, rabies vaccinations and owner’s addresses;
- Collects wiring and tap fees, zoning fees and recreation fees and prepares receipts;
- Reconciles bank statements using computer software and prepares outstanding check reports;
- Maintains city’s records pertaining to property owners and warranty deed information current and up-to-date;
- Gives out purchase orders when necessary;
- Receives municipal court payments when needed and serves as back up court clerk;
- Assists auditors in finding information necessary to complete required auditing of city records;
- Bad debt collection and log on computer system;
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
Experience: At least three years of office and cash handling experience is required. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well after six months to one year in the position.
Education: High school diploma or GED. Coursework in accounting and computers helpful.
Skills: Knowledge of computers, municipal accounting and basic bookkeeping. The ability to use tact and work well with utility customers and other employees. The ability to operate a computer, typewriter, calculator, and other related office equipment.
Problem Solving: Limited problem solving exists in this position. Problems include customer accounts to determine if an error has been made or if a leak may exist causing a high meter reading, locating posting and billing errors and computer malfunctions.
Decision Making: Limited decision making exists in this position. Duties follow prescribed policies and procedures. Decisions include whether to send out service orders to check for meter leaks.
Accountability: Employee is responsible for daily utility receipts and fees collected. Employee does not participate in the annual department budget process.
Supervision: Moderate supervision is provided and job related decisions are reviewed by the City Clerk. Employee does not have supervisory responsibility over subordinate personnel.
Personal Relations: Frequent contact with other city departments and continual contact with the general public.
Working Conditions: No adverse working conditions exist in this position.
1/22/2018 12:00:00 AM