To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: City of Augusta
Division: Animal Control
Job Title: Animal Control Officer
Salary: $0 Hourly
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF WORK
Enforces animal control laws throughout the City of Augusta in accordance with all applicable legal considerations to (1) protect the general public from injury or disease and (2) protect animals from improper use, abuse, neglect, and/or inhumane treatment. Encourages responsible pet ownership. Issues citations for violations of animal control laws. Captures unlicensed, stray, and uncontrolled domestic as well as wild animals and livestock. Investigates complaints of cruelty to animals. Sets and retrieves humane animal traps.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Enforces City ordinances by patrolling assigned areas; captures and impounds dead, sick, injured, stray or trapped domestic and non-domestic animals.
- Responds to and investigates complaints from the public regarding stray, sick, injured and abused animals; investigates cases of cruelty, neglect, abandonment, animal bites and barking dogs.
- Captures unlicensed, stray, uncontrolled, sick and/or injured animals or those, which have bitten humans; transports them to the animal shelter.
- Writes citations for violations of City ordinances related to animals; responds to court requests for contested citations.
- Prepares reports for prosecution in court and give evidence in court.
- Assist in the removal of deceased animals from City property and other locations; assist the public in trapping domestic and wild animals.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of files, records and reports regarding impounded animals, animal bites, quarantines, investigations, citations and daily statistics.
- Answers questions and provides information to the general public regarding animal control laws, ordinances, and procedures.
- Operates and maintains an animal control vehicle; utilize a variety of animal control devices and equipment including leash, muzzle, traps, catch pole, net, radio and tranquilizing equipment.
- The examples of work performed are not intended to be all‑inclusive. The City of Augusta reserves the right to assign additional responsibilities as needed.
REQUIREMENTS OF WORK
- Ability to develop good knowledge of the laws and ordinances governing animal control operations.
- Ability to develop good knowledge of the various breeds of domestic animals and their behavioral characteristics.
- Ability to develop good knowledge of the handling and general care of domestic animals.
- Ability to develop and exhibit skills in the operation of animal capture devices, including tranquilizer guns.
- Skill in the operation of a motor vehicle.
- Possession of and ability to maintain a valid Kansas driver's license.
- Skill in the operation of a two-way radio.
- Ability to read and interpret laws and ordinances pertaining to animal control operations.
- Ability to prepare detailed investigative reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Ability to deal tactfully, courteously, and firmly with the public.
- Ability to maintain detailed files and records.
- Ability to read and follow maps.
- Must demonstrate the ability to use mature judgment and make correct decisions.
- Ability to record details about names, faces, and incidents quickly and accurately.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, employees of other Departments, representatives of outside agencies, and the public.
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, TRAINING AND JOB FUNCTIONS
- Work Environment - Working around potentially vicious animals including snakes; extreme weather conditions; work with abusive individuals in disputes over decisions; removing stray animals from streets and highways.
- Lifting Requirements - Lifting heavy animals; pushing and pulling animals into truck; kneeling and crouching to pick up animals.
- Weight - Weight must be proportionate to height
- Valid Drivers License - Kansas
- Other - See requirements of work and/or City standards
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Good organizational skills
- Effective communication skills
- Judgment needs to be practical and mature.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment
- Attention to detail with good error recognition capabilities
- High school diploma or equivalent
Offers of employment may be made contingent upon passing a pre‑employment physical and/or drug screening, upon satisfactory evaluation of a psychological examination, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a police records check.
1/23/2018 12:00:00 AM