To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Geary County
Division: County Appraiser
Job Title: Real Estate Appraiser I
Salary: $16.74 Hourly
GEARY COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Real Estate Appraiser I Please apply online at www.HRePartners.com
FLSA: Non-Exempt Salary Range: 18 $16.74/hr.
Reports To: County Appraiser
Department: Appraiser Date: January 2018
The job duties of the Real Estate Appraiser I include but are not limited to perform responsible technical duties in the appraisal of improved and unimproved real property in Geary County; to collect data, establish value, and defend this value by using general accepted appraisal methods and to provide responsive, courteous and efficient service to County residents and the general public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties described below are indicative of what the Real Estate Appraiser I might be asked to perform. This job description is to incorporate any County Resolutions for the position of Real Estate Appraiser I. This position description is not designed to list all tasks and responsibilities of this position. Geary County reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need may arise. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Identify and locate real estate property from plats, maps and legal descriptions.
- Record assets of properties following set procedures and policy to be used in the valuation process.
- Perform exterior and interior inspections, when appropriate, of real estate properties.
- Determine the proper grade, CDU, physical condition, neighborhood delineation and review data characteristics of real property in Geary County.
- Measure and sketch to scale all types of real property.
- Review 17% of improved property annually for grade, physical condition and desirability.
- Conduct final review of all real estate both improved and unimproved.
- Conduct informal and formal hearings with taxpayers to explain appraisals and defend values on assigned properties.
- Accuracy level shall be maintained on data collected in the field in compliance with maintenance specifications outlined by the Property Valuation Division of the State of Kansas using ratio studies to look for unusual variances.
- Determine informal boundaries of neighborhoods.
- Maintain the paper and computerized sales file including all documentation and the usability of sales; analyze the sales information to assist in the formation of neighborhood groups and land values for residential properties to be used in computer assisted land pricing (CALP).
- Consider factors such as depreciation, replacement costs, value comparison of similar properties, and income potential when computing the final estimation of property value.
- Consider location and trends or impending changes that could influence future value of property.
- Gather all documents required and necessary data using prescribed forms and techniques.
- Work with taxpayers and assist with concerns and complaints.
- Assist with mass mailing of change of value notices.
- Perform other duties as requested.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required at the time of hire or for the continuation of employment.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Two (2) years of work experience showing customer service skills, analytical thinking, problem solving and initiative.
- Successful completion of IAAO courses 101 Orion Residential/Agricultural Data Collection, Orion Sales File Development Workshop and Kansas Property Tax Law within one year of employment (depending on appropriate training schedule).
- A valid Kansas driver’s license.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to understand and apply appraisal techniques, principles and practices of real estate appraisal using mass appraisal methods.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations pertinent to the appraisal and assessment of property.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with the public.
- Ability to take control of situations in a responsible manner.
- Ability to comprehend, retain and apply County, State, and Federal policies and legislation, i.e. local resolutions, procedure manuals, MSDS sheets, safety manuals, and warning labels.
EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ability to operate various types of equipment – standard office equipment, fax, scanner, computer and basic knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Ability to use GIS system.
- Other equipment could be required.
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a professional and friendly manner with customers, citizens, co-workers and management.
- Ability to communicate in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to develop, interpret and implement local policies and procedures; written instructions, general correspondence, Federal, State, and local regulations, SDS sheets, safety manuals, operating and repair manuals, etc; and warning labels.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to respond to public complaints and grievances.
- Ability to define problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
- Ability to use good judgment and effectively solve problems.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and work environments described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 50 pounds), grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Works in an office setting as well as in outside weather conditions.
- Occasionally exposed to extreme cold and extreme heat.
- Due to the volume, scope, size of staff and nature of public service this office provides, full-time regular attendance is essential.
_____________________________ __________ _______________________ __________
Supervisor Date Department Head Date
Human Resources Director Date
1/24/2018 12:00:00 AM