To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Garden City Community College
Job Title: Psychology/Social Science Instructor
This is a full-time, 172-day contract position under the direction of the appropriate Division Leader, Dean of Academics, and the Vice President for Instruction and Student Services. The primary assignment is to provide instructional services and learning facilitation for students in the Social Science Division by offering Psychology/Sociology and/or related courses.
This assignment includes (but is not limited to) the following:
- Teaching assigned day and/or evening courses using lecture, lab, hands-on demonstration, cooperative learning, and other methods in on-campus or at off-campus outreach locations. Courses are offered in accordance with established standards and course syllabi.
- Providing individual and small group facilitation of learning, diagnostic assessment of students, and identification of appropriate learning materials.
- Participating in course and curriculum design, student advisement, program review, and college committees as required to maintain and to improve the learning program.
- Participating in the operation of computer and other labs and providing direction and help to students and student assistants.
- Remaining current in subject matter and in the techniques most effective to promote student learning.
- Participating in staff and college meetings and contributing through appropriate committee assignments.
- Performing other relevant tasks as assigned.
- A master’s degree in Psychology/Sociology or possession of a master's degree with 18 graduate level credit hours in psychology or sociology education.
Strong preference will be given to candidates who establish the highest level of professional competency as evidenced by:
- Community college teaching experience at multiple skill levels, including hybrid and online classes.
- Experience teaching Psychology/Sociology in other than community college settings.
- Ability to motivate and teach students of diverse learning styles and backgrounds.
- Knowledge of computer assisted learning strategies in Psychology/Sociology.
- Commitment to the discipline through involvement in professional organizations and activities.
Faculty Profile Personal and Professional Qualities:
- Strong commitment to quality teaching, student learning, and academic excellence.
- Learner-centered, able to facilitate the learning process, to inspire, motivate, and help students to succeed.
- Appreciation and respect for student's role, contribution, and responsibility in the learning process.
- Commitment to develop learning outcomes and design alternative approaches to learning.
- Ability and willingness to apply knowledge of academic or occupational areas in designing strategies related to learning outcomes.
- Commitment to integrate new technologies and strategies into the learning process.
- Commitment to using technologies and instructional support resources to address learners' unique needs.
- Intellectual and ethical qualities which evoke confidence and respect.
- Enthusiam, flexibility, openess to change, willingness to experiment to experiment and innovate.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethic backgrounds and needs of community college students.
- Commitment to continuing education and professional development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
Based on the minimum and/or desirable qualifications. Placement on the salary schedule is based on verification of experience, relevant degress and upper divison/graduate course work.
Extenisve Benefit Package
- Health care/hospitalization coverage for employess and eligible dependents (up to $525.00 paid monthly by Trustees toward premium cost).
- Paid sick leave- 12 days annually, accumulates to 90 days total.
- Retirement coverage through Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS).
- TIAA-CREF 403-b employer retirement plan.
- Free GCCC tuition for employee, spouse, and minor dependents.
- Free pass for employee, spouse, and immediate family members to most college sponsored events.
- IRS Section 125 cafeteria salary reduction plan to purchase nontaxable health insurance, medical expense reimbursement, and dependent care reimbursement.
- Free use of wellness facilities for employee.
Term of Employment:
This is a full-time position, 172-day faculty contract, bargaining unit position, beginning with the Fall Semester of the 2018-2019 academic year.
Application and information are available at www.gcccks.edu or contact:
Garden City Community College
801 Campus Drive
Garden City, KS 67846
620-276-0362, Fax 620-276-9573
Applications must be completed in detail and clearly show that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications as set forth in the vacancy notice.
Each applicant must submit an application package, which includes the following:
- Letter of application, not to exceed five pages, which briefly states how applicant specifically fits the Faculty Profile of Personal and Professional Qualities and demonstrates past use of these qualities.
- Completed college application.
- Detailed resume summarizing educational preparation and experience.
- Copies of all collegiate transcripts (unofficial copies acceptable for selection process).
- Up to three current professional reference letters or a placement file containing up to three letters of recommendation. Letters must be no more than two years old, signed and dated, and from persons having first-hand knowledge of applicant’s professional qualities. Letters should address how the applicant’s qualifications and experience relate to the position.
Garden City Community College does not discriminate against applicants, employees or students on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit reasons, or handicap, nor will sexual harassment be tolerated, in its employment practices and/or educational programs or activities. Those concerned about the above should contact Emily Clouse, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9574.
Garden City Community College is complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and is committed to equal and reasonable access to facilities and programs for all employees, students and visitors. Those with ADA concerns, or who need special accommodations, should contact Melanie Hands, Coordinator of Disabilities, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9638.
SSI -- 012418
1/24/2018 12:00:00 AM