To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of McPherson
Division: Municipal Court
Job Title: Assistant Municipal Court Clerk/Probation Officer
Salary: $12.78 Hourly
Applicants should apply on HRePartners website by choosing the "Create an Account" button (or "Log In" buttong if you already have an account) OR Send a resume and cover letter to the City Clerk/HR Officer at email@example.com
Assistant Municipal Court Clerk /Probation Officer
City of McPherson Legal and Judicial
Under the supervision of the Assistant City Administrator, the Assistant Municipal Court Clerk is a non-exempt position under FLSA, which works directly with the Municipal Court Clerk to oversee the daily operations of the Municipal Court. This position is responsible for performing all administrative duties associated with the Municipal Court system for the City of McPherson, including administrative support for the Municipal Judge. This employee is responsible for managing the city probation program. This employee should possess excellent communication, organizational and public relation skills. Specifically, the Assistant Municipal Court Clerk is responsible for working directly with the Municipal Court Clerk in issuing all process for the court, administering oaths, filing and preserving all papers, docket cases and set same for trial.
- Types work processes and proofreads a variety of documents including general correspondence, citations, written warnings and reports, enters a variety of data and information into various computer programs;
- Performs various clerical duties such as filing, typing, basic accounting tasks, copying, answering multiple phone lines, taking messages, greeting and assisting customers;
- Reconciles and reports all payment transactions on a daily basis, reports any discrepancies to the supervisor;
- Reviews cases with appropriate court personnel to assure proper documentation of cases is being placed on the court docket;
- Processes incoming payments for municipal court fines;
- Responds to citizens questions, concerns and complaints;
- Process criminal history reports, subpoenas and warrants;
- Processes judge’s order;
- Conducts counseling interviews with assigned cases according to approved counseling techniques in order to determine and clarify probationer problems, suggests constructive methods for addressing such problems and consults with the supervisor when necessary;
- Contacts public and private community agencies to secure their aid in attempting to solve probationer’s problems and continuing ongoing relationships with agencies as needed;
- Follow a thorough and complete evaluation, refers probationers to community agencies that offer specialized services that are required for the particular individual’s needs;
- Follows department policies and procedures.
- Assists with the front counter;
- Contacts the public and outside agencies in acquiring and providing information and making referrals;
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
ASSISTANT COURT CLERK / PROBATION OFFICER
Experience: One year of court, legal or related experience is preferred but not required. Experience and training in the probationary field is preferred but not required. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within six months to one year of employment.
Education: A high school diploma or GED is required. Knowledge of Municipal Court functions as well as criminal justice system is preferred. Any combination of education and experience,
Technical Skills: This employee must have the ability and willingness to learn about all operations relating to the municipal court and legal processes. Strong attention to accuracy and detail is a requirement of the job. The ability to understand and anticipate problems, to type with speed and accuracy, to enforce department safety policies and procedures, to interpret written instructions, reports and other official documents is required. This employee must be able to efficiently operate computers, printers, multi line telephone systems, photocopiers and other office equipment. This employee should possess strong accounting, organizational, public relation, oral and written communication skills.
Problem Solving: Independent problem solving is necessary in this position. This employee encounters problems with frequent interruptions, difficult situations with the public and citizen complaints and concerns. The employee must be able to work with probationers and other agencies to insure the probationers get needed assistance and abide by the order of the court,
.Decision Making: Independent decision-making is necessary in this position. This employee must properly interpret and make decisions in accordance with laws, regulations and policies established by the court and the city. This employee makes decisions about prioritizing daily work assignments, and performing daily duties in the most efficient manner.
Supervision: This position is subject frequent supervision from the Assistant City Administrator. This employee does not exercise any supervisory responsibilities over subordinate personnel.
Financial Accountability: This employee collects court fees and other fines, responsible for court bank accounts and dispersing of funds deposited into them, Maintains records regarding bonds, unpaid fines and unpaid court costs. Ensures court bank accounts are reconciled monthly. This employee is responsible for department resources.
Personal Relations: Daily contact with the general public, co-workers, probationers, and supervisory personnel is expected.
Working Conditions: No adverse working conditions exist within this position. Working in an office setting with a computer is the primary aspect of this position, but may require some off site visits to probationer’s homes or workplaces.
Physical Requirements: Physical activity associated with working in an office setting is required to perform the daily duties of this position. Some manual labor including lifting and carrying heavy objects, sitting for an extended period of time, occasional bending, squatting and twisting is required. Also required is frequent use of manual dexterity and visualization of computer screen throughout the day.
2/5/2018 12:00:00 AM
2/21/2018 11:59:59 PM