To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: City of Larned
Job Title: Communication Officer
Salary: $14.00 Hourly
General Overview of Position and Responsibilities: Under the general supervision of the Police Chief, this non-exempt position is responsible for performing technical work receiving and dispatching routine and emergency information.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Receive and transmit emergency radio and telephone calls and dispatches emergency personnel and equipment under stressful conditions occurring due to the volume, urgency and required accuracy of the communications.
- Receive and screen incoming calls for law enforcement, fire, medical, or other emergency services. Question callers to determine location and seriousness of emergency and response needed. Determine response requirements and relative priorities of situations, and dispatch units in accordance with established procedures.
- Operates a 911 system and base station or mobile unit two-way radio in order to maintain continuous contact between officers and other law enforcement/public safety agencies; uses established radio codes and phraseology.
- Relay information to other agencies and jurisdictions regarding location, time and nature of Police, Fire or EMS matters as required and in a timely fashion.
- Maintain the status and location of on duty personnel at all times.
- Operate a data terminal to send, relay and receive inter and intrastate information; use National Crime Information Center (NCIC), National Law Enforcement Telecommunications system (NLETS) and the Automated telecommunications and Records Access System (ASTRA) codes and formats. Maintain NCIC certification.
- Keep emergency personnel informed of information such as malfunctioning traffic lights, street/road closures, etc.
- Provide information to the general public through use of telephone and personal contacts.
- Maintain records, required reports and log in conformity with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations and agency policy.
- Assist Police Officers with gathering information through the teletype, departmental records or other sources.
- Log criminal cases, accidents, and citations; sort and file criminal cases, accident, disposition and animal control sheets. Enter, update, and retrieve information from teletype networks and computerized data systems regarding such things as wanted persons, stolen property, vehicle registration, and stolen vehicles.
- Input data to standard office and departmental forms, both manual and computerized; make simple postings to various reports; compile and tabulate department statistics.
- Record details of calls, dispatches, and messages.
- Maintain access to, and security of, highly sensitive materials.
- Relay information and messages to and from emergency sites, to law enforcement agencies, and to all other individuals or groups requiring notification.
- Maintain files of information relating to emergency calls such as personnel rosters, and emergency call-out and pager files.
- Make copies of police reports, accident reports and other documents and records as required and according to dissemination rules.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work with other departments to ensure efficient and effective service delivery.
Marginal Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Serve as a notary public.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Monitor intrusion and fire alarms for business and residents and sends the appropriate help.
- Monitor National Weather Service and activate tornado warning system as required.
- May serve on various employee or other committees as assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the competencies, knowledge, skill, abilities, required education and or experience to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is subject to working nights, weekends and holidays.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; works well in group problem solving situations.
Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas.
Communication - Listens and gets clarification, ability to read, write and understand instructions.
Teamwork - Gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives.
Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; asks for and offers help when needed.
Innovation - Generates suggestions for improving work.
Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
Ethics - Works with integrity and ethically.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively with customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to operate computers and software necessary to complete assignments may include word processing, spreadsheet, databases, global positioning equipment, software downloads from systems, etc.
- Ability to read and interpret area maps.
- Ability to speak clearly and correctly, using the English language.
- Ability to work under pressure and/or with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to be organized, accurate, and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to handle stressful situations and multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to learn and recall police signals and calls, rules and regulations of the Police Department.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Possess audio acuity to enable radio and telephone communications.
- Possess visual acuity to read computer monitors and television screen.
Required Education and/or Experience:
High school education or GED; three to six months related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
High school education or GED; six months to twelve months related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
NCIC (National Crime Information Center) certification required within six months of employment and must complete renewal very two years
Must complete twelve hours of online Dispatcher/Telecommunicator training per year through Police Legal Sciences, Inc.
Pass security background check and drug screen
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, however, it may involve extreme stress during short periods.
2/12/2018 12:00:00 AM