To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Atchison Public Library
Atchison is a historic community located 55 miles northwest of Kansas City and is located at the westernmost bend of the Missouri River with a population of 10,380. When visiting Atchison you are following in the footsteps of other great explorers, from Lewis and Clark to present-day astronauts. World famous aviatrix Amelia Earhart was born in Atchison and spent much of her formative years in Atchison. The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad was established in Atchison in 1860. Its location on the Missouri River and railroad connections made Atchison an important industrial center. One of Atchison’s strengths is its variety of educational opportunities. Public and private schools, Northeast Kansas Area Technical College and Benedictine College, a four-year liberal arts college offer a wide diversity of educational choices for all ages in the Atchison area. Leisure activities are abundant for residents as well as visitors. Recreational opportunities include organized sports for youth and adults, a Municipal swimming pool, bowling center, visual and performing arts, museums and a year-round calendar of festivals and special events, including the Amelia Earhart Festival and Lakefest. Several beautiful city parks offer swimming, field sports, horseshoes, hiking and biking, fishing, camping and picnicking. Golfers can choose from a private course at Pineview Country Club or a public course at Bellevue Country Club. The recently completed Riverfront Development project provides an abundance of opportunities for walkers, bicyclists, boaters, or those who just want to relax for a bit. Beautiful historic homes along tree lined streets, a diverse community, and a thriving community makes Atchison a great place to live.
EMPLOYMENT & BENEFITS
Thank you for your interest in employment with the Atchison Public Library. By submitting your application for any position with the Atchison Public Library, you understand and agree to the following statements:
- You represent that the contents of the application are true and correct and that no pertinent information has been omitted.
- You authorize investigation of any or all statements on the application, and you hold harmless any former employer, acquaintance, or reference for any information provided to the Atchison Public Library. Falsification, misrepresentation or omission of information could be just cause for dismissal at any time.
- You understand that you may be required to take relevant employment testing for the purpose of determining your capability of performing the duties of the position.
- The Atchison Public Library is committed to a drug-free workplace and requires pre-employment drug screening for most positions. If you are selected for employment you agree to participate in the appropriate job related physical, psychological, and physical abilities examinations. These examinations are paid for by the Atchison Public Library. Transportation and time involved taking the examinations are the responsibility of the applicant.
- Employment with the Atchison Public Library is considered “at-will” and nothing contained within the Library’s applications, advertisement process, or the personnel policies and guidelines constitute an employment contract. The Atchison Public Library reserves the right to hire the applicant the Library feels is the best suited for the position.
- VACATION LEAVE – Paid vacation leave after six months of employment of 8 hours per month for full-time (40hr) employees, and 4 hours per month for part-time (20hr) employees.
- SICK LEAVE – Full-time (40hr) employees accrue 8 hours of sick leave per month, and part-time (20hr) employees accrue 4 hours per month.
- KPERS RETIREMENT PLAN –The Library provides Kansas Public Employer’s Retirement System (KPERS) program for employees who work an average of at least 20hrs per week
- WAGES – The Library Director reviews employee wages for adjustments as needed.
- HEATH CARE – The Library is currently a member of the BCBS of Kansas insurance plan and currently subsidizes a portion of the health care premiums. Health care includes dental coverage. All full-time (40hr) employees are eligible to participate.
- HOLIDAY LEAVE – All full-time and regular part-time employees are eligible to earn eleven (11) holidays per year.
The Atchison Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
It is the policy of the Atchison Public Library not to discriminate in its programs or services provided to the general public, including employment and all other activities, on the basis of race, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other similarly protected status.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
The Library shall make reasonable modifications in policies, practices, or procedures when the modifications are necessary to avoid discrimination on the basis of disability, unless the Library can demonstrate that making the modifications would fundamentally alter the nature of the service, program or activity. In the provision of auxiliary aids or services, including modifications in policies, practices or procedures the Atchison Public Library will not place surcharges on individuals with disabilities to cover the costs involved in making programs accessible. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation in the application and/or interview process should notify the Library Director.
If you have any questions about employment with the Atchison Public Library other than job openings, which are listed through this site, please contact:
Jacque Slingsby, Director
Atchison Public Library
401 Kansas Avenue
Atchison, KS 66002
Ph (913) 367-1902 x208