To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Geary County
Division: Health Department
Job Title: Nurse Practitioner - IST
GEARY COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Nurse Practitioner (APRN) – IST (99407)
FLSA: Exempt Salary Range: $60,672 - DOQ
Reports To: Administrator, Health Department
Department: Public Health Date: October, 2017
The job duties of the Nurse Practitioner include but are not limited to provide to the client family planning and well woman exams and methods of birth control; to identify and treat sexually transmitted infections and vaginal infections; to provide physicals, immunizations, and referrals; to prescribe and distribute medications per pre-approved protocols; to be available as a resource person to other medical professionals in the clinic area; and to provide responsive, courteous and efficient service to County residents and the general public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties described below are indicative of what the Nurse Practitioner might be asked to perform. This job description is to incorporate any County Resolutions for the position of Nurse Practitioner. This position description is not designed to list all tasks and responsibilities of this position. Geary County reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need may arise. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Conduct physical exams including sports, school and work physicals as well as Kan-B-Healthy, well-woman and/or family planning exams.
- Assist in contact and referral/treatment for all clients with abnormal test results as needed.
- Identify and treat sexually transmitted infections according to established CDC, State and Health Department guidelines. Provide education to clients based on diagnosis and treatment.
- Provide client education and treatment, as appropriate, for genital warts, bacterial vaginosis, GC, Chlamydia, Syphilis, Trichomoniasis, Candidacies, and other vaginal infections and STIs. Work in partnership with the State Disease Intervention Specialist as needed to provide necessary and timely culture and treatment to all STI clients and contacts to infection.
- Provide prescriptions and proper instruction or referral to clients on currently available birth control methods which include contraceptive gel, film, foam, oral contraceptives, condoms, diaphragms (fitting and instruction), Norplant, DMPA injection, and IUD’s.
- Provide education and options of health choices regarding pre-menopause and menopause.
- Refer for mammograms, clinical breast exams, teaching of self-breast exams, ordering of mammograms, and referrals for diagnostic testing of breast masses.
- Provide care to clients with minor illnesses to allow for faster recovery from illness and more timely return to work or school.
- Provide age and situation appropriate health education on all aspects of women’s health care.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required at the time of hire or for the continuation of employment.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in Family Advanced Nursing.
- One (1) year of advanced nursing experience.
- Two (2) years of experience in women’s and sexual health.
- Kansas Advanced Practice Registered Nurse License required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor in all aspects of the work environment.
- Ability to take control of situations in a responsible manner.
- Ability to comprehend, retain and apply County, State, and Federal policies and legislation, i.e. local resolutions and ordinances, procedure manuals, warning labels, etc.
EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ability to operate various types of equipment – standard office equipment, computer and intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Other equipment could be required.
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a professional and friendly manner with customers, citizens, co-workers and management.
- Ability to communicate information and teach and train others regarding policies and processes in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations, including calculating drug dosages.
- Ability to respond to complaints and grievances posed by the public.
- Ability to define problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
- Ability to use good judgment and effectively solve problems.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and work environments described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 20 pounds), grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Works primarily in an office setting.
- Due to the volume, scope, size of staff and nature of public service this office provides, full-time regular attendance is essential.
_____________________________ __________ __________________________ __________
Supervisor Date Human Resources Director Date
I have reviewed the Job Description for the position of Nurse Practitioner. I understand the position requirements described and agree to uphold the requirements to the best of my ability. Any questions I may have in relation to the work required of the position shall be brought to the attention of my supervisor.
Employee Signature Date
2/21/2018 12:00:00 AM