To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Winfield
Job Title: Seasonal Cemetery Grounds Maintenance Worker I
Salary: $0 Hourly
CLASS TITLE: Seasonal Cemetery Grounds Maintenance Worker I
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Cemetery Caretaker
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION: Under direct supervision, performs a variety of unskilled and semi‑skilled manual labor in the construction and maintenance of city cemeteries. Additional duties may include maintenance of parks, lake, golf course, pool, buildings and other municipal facilities; drives trucks and operates light to medium weight equipment; assists higher skilled craftsmen as a trainee in carpentry, building and mechanical, plant maintenance, repair and operation. Work tends to be routine and subject to close supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES ARE:
Operate and maintain various types of light and medium weight equipment and trucks through 2 1/2 ton capacity to perform manual labor in the maintenance, repair, and minor construction of city cemeteries, facilities, roads and building maintenance; under the supervision of the Cemetery Caretaker will open and close graves, repair tire ruts, level sunken graves; operate backhoes, loaders, jackhammers, mowers, trimmers, tractors, chippers, utility carts and other equipment essential to grounds maintenance; grounds maintenance may include the planting and removal or trimming of trees, shrubs, flowers; seeding, pulling weeds in flower beds; spray weeds; water trees and other plant materials; fix water leaks and install new water lines; janitorial services for maintenance building, mausoleum and grounds; carpentry work, painting and preventive maintenance of all facilities and equipment; install, repair and straighten headstones/monuments/markers and vases; may pour and finish concrete foundations for headstones; locate graves, snow removal, loads and hauls equipment, sand, gravel, clay, top soil and other construction and maintenance materials; enforce cemetery rules and regulations on a daily basis.
OTHER DUTIES INCLUDE:
Performs other duties as assigned. Prepares minimal records of own activities; occasionally works with restricted information; uses equipment requiring care to assure against breakdown; occasionally handles small amounts of funds; contacts with others is incidental to performance of duties and requiring common courtesy, and relaying of information; frequent contact with the public and the bereaved requiring a tactful, patient and tolerant manner; duties involve heavy physical work requiring continuous crawling, climbing, and lifting; work requires occasional contact with dust, noise, rain, snow, heat and cold; hazards are moderate.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to completion of high school.
EXAMPLES OF PERFORMANCE CRITERIA AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Cemeteries are kept looking neat and well manicured;
- Trucks and equipment are operated safely and effectively;
- Assigned construction and maintenance projects are performed properly and efficiently;
- Learns and applies knowledge of the materials, equipment, and techniques of maintenance and construction;
- Follows oral and written instructions;
- Lifts, and handles herbicides and pesticides safely;
- Is able to perform a variety of unskilled and semi‑skilled tasks in repair and maintenance of various types of equipment, structures, and facilities;
- Ability to perform moderate physical work and to lift 50 pounds and to lift and carry up to 25 pounds;
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, bend, crawl, push, pull and perform similar body movements;
- Possesses hand/eye/foot coordination adequate to make repairs and to operate equipment;
- Ability to talk and hear in person, by telephone and two‑way radio; ability to see and read instructions;
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other employees, superiors, and the public.
Winfield/ rev ‘14/
3/1/2018 12:00:00 AM