To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Sedgwick County
Job Title: Zoo Maintenance Worker
Salary: $12.506 Hourly
Veterans' Preference is available for this vacancy.
To receive Veterans' Preference, you must supply a copy of your DD214 to the Human Resources department at Sedgwick County after applying.
Design, construct, maintain & repair displays, exhibits, and signage in coordination with design team. Manage materials and maintain tools. Special event setups and preparation.
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs carpentry work in constructing and repairing exhibits, buildings, fences, doors, etc; interprets and follows design of customer requirements; use provided plans or design and draw plans; determine materials list; measure, cut and assemble materials; finishes project with appropriate paint, stain, varnish, or wood sealer.
- Operate power saw, electric drill, screw gun, nail gun, and other hand tools.
- Excavate and prepare concrete or asphalt job site including footings, foundations, walls, floors, curbs, ponds, and sidewalks.
- Install reinforcing rod or wire; determine materials and type of finish needed; build and install forms; mix materials; pour and finish material.
- Troubleshoot and repair electrical problems in fans, motors, compressors, pumps, air handling units, appliances, etc.
- Install special power sources, lighting systems, and multi-voltage switches; replace electrical motors, elements, brushes, fuses, bulbs, thermostats, and emergency power sources, soldering gun, power hacksaw, and specialized connectors and fasteners.
- Welds broken bars on cages, metal siding and frames on buildings; builds metal lined crates for shipping animals; operates cutting torch, metal cutting saws, electric and gas welder, wire feed welders, etc.
- Request materials for job; records time taken to complete job; returns work orders to supervisor.
- Performs preventative maintenance on heating, ventilation, and air conditioning equipment.
- Prepares surfaces for painting; determines types of paint and finish; applies primer and paint or stain.
- Performs preventative maintenance, troubleshoots and repairs zoo vehicles and equipment. Including - vans, pickup trucks, dump trucks, carts, boat motors, tractors, lawn mowers, and other tools.
- Set up tables, chairs, tents, bandstands, or other equipment for special functions and activities.
- Maintain good communication with coordinators of events to provide a good execution of setups.
- Driving required for supply needs, deliveries or dump runs.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid State of Kansas drivers license.
- 1 to 2 years experience in a fulltime maintenance position preferred.
- The ability to develop skills in locating and correcting defects in building installations, fixtures, and equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to frequently lift, carry or move objects weighing up to 50 pounds when performing assigned tasks.
- Ability to work from a ladder and on a roof or elevated structure.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Valid State of Kansas Driver s License.
All equipment needed to perform facility operation and maintenance. Including: power saw, electric drill, screw gun, nail gun, other hand tools, welders.
- Outdoor and indoor, exposed to cleaning chemicals, animal waste, dust and weather.
- Usual working days/hours: 40 hours per week
- Location of work: Zoo grounds
*Please note this job posting is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice*
*This position may be filled or closed to further application without notice. Must be at least 18 years of age to work for Sedgwick County*
It is the policy of Sedgwick County not to discriminate in its programs or services provided to the general public, including employment and all other activities, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other similarly protected status. Sedgwick County is committed to making the application, interview, and pre-employment testing process accessible to persons with disabilities. If you wish to volunteer information regarding any special assistance you may need, please notify Crissy Magee, Sedgwick County ADA Coordinator, by phone (316) 660-7056, TDD (Kansas Relay at 711 or 800-766-3777), or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send resumes or application status request or employment questions to this email or phone number. This information is provided only for those requiring ADA assistance. Applications must be submitted on www.hrepartners.com. You will be contacted should the department feel that you are a qualified candidate. Sedgwick County will prohibit the hiring of spouses and/or immediate family members within the same department, but not within the County structure.
2/26/2018 12:00:00 AM
4/6/2018 11:59:59 PM