Employer: Riley County
Job Title: Medical Clerk
Salary: $14.89 Hourly
RILEY COUNTY, KANSAS JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: MEDICAL CLERK
Department: Health Department Division: Clinic Services
Reports To: Nursing Supervisor
Pay Grade: G Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
POSITION SUMMARY: The medical clerk provides direct services to Public Health Clinic Clients. This is a complex and responsible position involving data entry, filing, directing telephone calls, and multiple clerical/receptionist duties. Work requires good judgment, multi-tasking and professionalism. Provide cheerful, helpful reception to all and register/check-in clients.
- Performs multiple tasks at once while maintaining a calm, professional, and helpful attitude
- Answers incoming calls, provides information, and/or directs calls using courteous telephone etiquette. Record and relay accurate messages to facilitate communications within the office and with the general public.
- Record and relay accurate messages to facilitate communications within the department and with the general public.
- Schedules appointments within delineated time frames to meet processing standards. Reschedules appointments as needed and Makes appointment reminder calls.
- Operate office equipment to fulfill the duties of typing, filing, photocopying, and facsimile communication as required.
- Greets and checks in clients for appointments or walk-ins using customer courtesy. Check-out clients/money collection/receipt writing. Accurately enter services and supplies provided into practice management system.
- Manage medical records to include: assembling records for new clients; pulling charts for clients who have appointments or are walk-in clients; Separate completed charts following clinic (i.e. filing, consults, doctor’s signature, etc.); and refile charts
- Sort and distribute daily mail in order to facilitate replies.
- Greet and disseminate information to the public as instructed.
- Conforms to HIPAA privacy regulations specific to position held. The clinic medical clerk creates and records Protected Health Information (PHI). Has authority to use the following categories of PHI for payment operations and treatment: patient demographics, scheduling information, billing/payment information, and diagnostic/procedure information. Disclosures are only allowed as necessary for treatment to providers and/or Business Associates, for billing or as required by law.
- Assist with Health Department Activities as Necessary
- Participates in emergency response health department efforts as needed.
- Attend staff meetings monthly. Attend other meetings as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: A high school diploma or GED required.
Experience: Must possess at least one year medical receptionist office experience. Appropriate education or training may be substituted for the required experience. Experience with the operation of specialized office equipment, particularly computers is required. Recent experience in medical billing and coding is helpful.
Skills: Demonstrated ability in typing and knowledge of basic or commonly-used office rules, procedures and operations. Must have ability to work with the public. Must understand and demonstrate basic computer skills. Bilingual English/Spanish is helpful.
Supervisory Controls: The employee plans and carries out the successive steps and handles problems and deviations in the work assignment in accordance with instructions, policies, previous training, or accepted practices.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Guidelines: Procedures for doing the work have been established and a number of specific guidelines are available.
Complexity: The decision regarding what needs to be done depends upon the analysis of the subject, phase, or issues involved in each assignment, and the chosen course of action may have to be selected from many alternatives.
Scope and Effect of Work: The work involves the execution of specific rules, regulations, or procedures and typically comprises a complete segment of an assignment or project of broader scope.
Personal Contacts: The personal contacts are with employees in the same agency, and outside the immediate organization. People contacted generally are engaged in different functions and kinds of work performed for the county. Also a substantial number of contacts are made with members of the general public.
Purpose of Contacts: The purpose is to obtain, clarify or give facts or information regardless of the nature of those facts. The facts or information may range from the easily understood to the highly technical. Distributing and providing educational information is included.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, reach with hands and arms; talk and hear with both ears. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color identification.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to a normal noise level.
Public health facility is a smoke free environment.
Approved: Date:____ ______________
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related or a logical assignment of the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirement of the job change.
3/1/2018 12:00:00 AM