To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Butler County
Division: Emergency Medical Services
Job Title: EMT
Open until filled
Full-time and part-time positions available
Position Summary: Under the direction of the shift supervisor, the EMT performs general duties of pre-hospital emergency medical service. The EMT performs basic like support, performs CPR, applies dressing and manages wound care, splinting of fractures, and maintains airway. The EMT works with an MICT and under the department medical guidelines and authorized activities.
Examples of Work (Essential Functions):
- Excellent knowledge of departmental medical protocols:
- Responds to 911 calls and assists in providing emergency medical treatment to the sick and injured:
- Performs duties of EMT under the departmental medical guidelines:
- Transports patients to appropriate medical facility:
- Completes all patient care reports, billing reports and incident reports by end of each shift:
- Provides written reports to Assistant Director on all vehicle, station, radio or medical equipment problems or request for repair immediately:
- Cleans assigned station and unit(s) daily:
- Excellent knowledge of county/city maps:
- Conducts daily self training or education:
- Completes daily maintenance and vehicle check sheets:
- Attends departmental training sessions:
- Stocks EMS units with supplies and equipment:
- Maintains station house and assures equipment is clean and in good working condition:
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required:
Job Title: Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
Experience: At least one year of emergency medical experience is preferred. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well after six months in the position.
Education: High school diploma or GED is required. Upon completion of a initial course of instruction and successful certification as a Kansas EMT is required. Requires 14 hours of continuing education per year. Hazardous Materials Awareness level training and recertification is also required. Must have a valid drivers license.
Skills: Thorough knowledge of pre-hospital medical care and emergency vehicle operations is needed. Thorough knowledge of county/city maps is needed. Ability to operate all departmental equipment and radios is required. Must have good writing and communication skills.
Problem Solving: There is problem solving in this position depending on the situation the patient is found in and deciding the appropriate medical care needed.
Decision Making: Must make important medical care decisions in this position. The person must be able to function independently.
Accountability: The employee is not accountable for the department budget but is accountable for their assigned task. Including appropriate medical care, completion of daily and required task. Decisions and actions will be evaluated by supervisor, department director and Quality assurance.
Supervision: There is limited supervision an the employee must function independently with a good understanding of departmental medical guidelines. Employee does not have supervisory responsibilities over subordinate personnel.
Personal Relations: Continual contact with other emergency agencies and the public. Must represent themselves and the department in a positive manner.
Working Conditions: This is a highly stressful position with long working hours. Physical effort is required and exposure to infectious diseases is a factor in this position. May require working in extreme conditions as related and other hazards.
Physical Requirements: 80% of the time requires physical effort in moving patients weighing up to 200 pounds from the floor to a cot and loading in the back of the ambulance. When working with the patients, the ability to bend, stoop and reach is required. However, there may be some walking, standing, lifting and carrying of moderate to heavy items. The ability to express or exchange ideas by means of verbal communications. Conveying and receiving detailed or important instructions to and from other workers and the general public.
3/5/2018 12:00:00 AM