To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Sedgwick County
Job Title: Building Maintenance Worker I
Salary: $11.34 Hourly
Veterans' Preference is available for this vacancy.
To receive Veterans' Preference, you must supply a copy of your DD214 to the Human Resources department at Sedgwick County after applying.
Performs various general maintenance duties to efficiently operate the County’s facilities and keep them in proper repair and clean and safe for public use. These maintenance duties would be carried out in the buildings Facilities Maintenance are responsible for. This is an entry level maintenance position.
Essential Job Functions:
Assists with preventative maintenance, troubleshooting and repairs on building maintenance systems and structures
- Repair/rebuild/replace plumbing fixtures including faucets, flush valves, shut off stops, disposal units, drain lines and toilets.
- Repair/rebuild/replace electrical fixtures including bulbs, lamps, ballasts and switches.
- Assists with general building maintenance to include painting, drywall patching, ceiling tiles, floor tiles, door locks and cleaning.
Assists with grounds maintenance for Public Works facilities at the Stillwell complex
- Mowing, trimming, raking, weeding and other maintenance items.
- Parking lot cleanup of trash and leaves
- Helps clearing the parking lots, sidewalks and entryways during snow and ice.
- Assists with cleaning the Director’s office weekly.
- Sets up training room for meeting/events.
Primary backup for the Public Works dispatcher/receptionist
- Covers breaks, lunches, appointments and vacations.
- Answers the phone and directs calls to the appropriate staff.
- Distributes mail as necessary.
- Enters requests for service in the HEAT system and follows up as necessary.
Adaptability: Adapts well to changes in assignments and priorities; adapts behavior or work methods in response to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles; approaches change positively and adjusts behaviors accordingly; focusing on being part of the solution.
Listening: Listens attentively to others, asks clarifying questions, actively listens, is respectful and professional in dealing with others, stays open to other viewpoints, and manages distractions and interruptions.
Customer Focus: Acts with customers in mind and strives for continuous improvement in products and services. Gains customer trust and respect; meets or exceeds customer expectations.
Reliability: Demonstrates a high level of dependability in all aspects of the job.
Teamwork: Participates as an active and contributing member of a team to achieve team goals; works cooperatively with other team members.
Educational Requirements: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Years of Experience: 0-2 years
Educational Requirements: Mechanical aptitude
Physical Requirements of Position
- Climbing. Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized. This factor is important if the amount and kind of climbing required exceeds that required for ordinary locomotion.
- Balancing. Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling and walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces. This factor is important if the amount of balancing exceeds that needed for ordinary locomotion and maintenance of body equilibrium.
- Stooping. Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires full motion of the lower extremities and back muscles.
- Kneeling. Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees.
- Crouching. Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
- Crawling. Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet.
- Pushing. Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward.
- Pulling. Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Lifting. Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires substantial use of upper extremities and back muscles.
- Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Usual working days/hours: M – F, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Location of work: 1144 S Seneca
The employee is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside.
*Please note this job posting is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice*
*This position may be filled or closed to further application without notice. Must be at least 18 years of age to work for Sedgwick County*
It is the policy of Sedgwick County not to discriminate in its programs or services provided to the general public, including employment and all other activities, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other similarly protected status. Sedgwick County is committed to making the application, interview, and pre-employment testing process accessible to persons with disabilities. If you wish to volunteer information regarding any special assistance you may need, please notify Crissy Magee, Sedgwick County ADA Coordinator, by phone (316) 660-7056, TDD (Kansas Relay at 711 or 800-766-3777), or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send resumes or application status request or employment questions to this email or phone number. This information is provided only for those requiring ADA assistance. Applications must be submitted on www.hrepartners.com. You will be contacted should the department feel that you are a qualified candidate. Sedgwick County will prohibit the hiring of spouses and/or immediate family members within the same department, but not within the County structure.
3/8/2018 12:00:00 AM
3/22/2018 11:59:59 PM