Employer: Garden City Community College
Division: Garden City Community College
Job Title: Physical Science Instructor
Physical Science Instructor
This is a full-time 172-day contract position under the direction of the appropriate Division Director, Dean of Academics, and the Vice President of Instructional Services. The primary assignment is to provide instructional services and learning facilitation for students in the Science Division by offering a variety of physical science and chemistry related courses.
This assignment includes (but is not limited to) the following:
Teaching physical science, college chemistry and/or allied health chemistry courses assigned day and/or evening, using lecture, lab, hands-on demonstration, cooperative learning, and other methods in on-campus or at off-campus outreach locations. Courses are offered in accordance with established standards and course syllabi.
- Providing individual and small group facilitation of learning, diagnostic assessment of students, and identification of appropriate learning materials.
- Participating in course and curriculum design, student advisement, program review, and college committees as required to maintain and improve the learning program.
- Participating in the operation of computer and other labs and providing direction and help to students and student assistants.
- Remaining current in subject matter and in the techniques most effective to promote student learning.
- Participating in staff and college meetings and contributing through appropriate committee assignments.
- Performing other relevant tasks as assigned.
Faculty Profile Personal and Professional Qualities
- Strong commitment to quality teaching, student learning, and academic excellence.
- Learner-centered, able to facilitate the learning process, to inspire, motivate, and help students to succeed.
- Appreciation and respect for student role, contribution, and responsibility in the learning process.
- Commitment to develop learning outcomes and design alternative approaches to learning.
- Ability and willingness to apply knowledge of academic or occupational areas in designing strategies related to learning outcomes.
- Commitment to integrate new technologies and strategies into the learning process.
- Commitment to using technologies and instructional support resources to address learners’ unique needs.
- Intellectual and ethical qualities which evoke confidence and respect.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds and needs of community college students.
- Commitment to continuing education and professional development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
A master’s degree in chemistry, chemistry education or possession of a master's degree with 18 graduate level credit hours in chemistry education.
Strong preference will be given to candidates who establish the highest level of professional competency as evidenced by:
- Experience teaching Organic Chemistry lecture and lab at the college level.
- Community college teaching experience at multiple skill levels.
- Knowledge of instructional design for online learning preferred.
- Experience teaching chemistry in other than community college settings.
- Industry experience in applying chemistry in real world settings.
- Ability to motivate and teach students of diverse learning styles and backgrounds.
- Knowledge of computer assisted learning strategies in chemistry.
- Commitment to the discipline through involvement in professional organizations and activities.
- Clear evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- Ability to communicate effectively in speech and writing.
Based on the minimum and/or desirable qualifications. Placement on the salary schedule is based on verification of experience, relevant degrees, and upper division/graduate course work.
Extensive Benefit Package
- Health care/hospitalization coverage for employees and eligible dependents (up to $525.00 paid monthly by Trustees toward premium cost).
- Paid sick leave—12 days annually, accumulates to 90 days total.
- Retirement coverage through Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS).
- TIAA-CREF 403-b employer retirement plan.
- Free GCCC tuition for employee, spouse, and minor dependents.
- Free pass for employee, spouse, and immediate family members to most college sponsored events.
- IRS Section 125 cafeteria salary reduction plan to purchase nontaxable health insurance, medical expense reimbursement, and dependent (child) care reimbursement.
- Free use of Super Circuit facilities for employee.
Term of Employment
This is a full-time position, 172-day faculty contract, bargaining unit position, beginning with the Fall Semester of the 2018-201 academic year.
Application and information are available at www.gcccks.edu or contact:
Garden City Community College
801 Campus Drive
Garden City, KS 67846
620-276-0362, Fax 620-276-9573
Applications must be completed in detail and clearly show that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications as set forth in the vacancy notice.
Each applicant must submit an application package, which includes the following:
- Letter of application, not to exceed five pages, which briefly states how applicant specifically fits the Faculty Profile of Personal and Professional Qualities and demonstrates past use of these qualities.
- Completed college application.
- Detailed resume summarizing educational preparation and experience.
- Copies of all collegiate transcripts (unofficial copies acceptable for selection process).
- Up to three current professional reference letters or a placement file containing up to three letters of recommendation. Letters must be no more than two years old, signed and dated, and from persons having first-hand knowledge of applicant’s professional qualities. Letters should address how the applicant’s qualifications and experience relate to the position.
PLEASE SUBMIT ONLY REQUESTED MATERIALS.
Only applications that are complete and fully address how the applicant meets ALL minimum qualifications will be considered for possible interview.
The college retains all materials submitted in the application process. Failure to submit all required application materials will result in the applicant not being considered for the position. Submission of application and related materials is the applicant’s responsibility.
All application materials are subject to verification. False statements will be cause for disqualification or discharge from employment.
Application materials become the property of Garden City Community College and will not be returned. Application files for this position will not be considered for future openings.
Current employees should be aware that materials from their personnel files will not be included as part of the application packet, and they should therefore provide information on past and present employment in the same degree of detail as any other applicant.
The screening committee will conduct all minimum qualification appraisals as set forth on the vacancy notice and reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant an interview. Applicants selected for an interview will be notified of the time and place of the interview. Interviews are usually conducted on the Garden City Community College campus by an interview committee. Additional interviews and/or teaching demonstrations may be required. Travel costs related to all interviews will be borne by the applicant.
Garden City Community College does not discriminate against applicants, employees or students on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit reasons, or handicap, nor will sexual harassment be tolerated, in its employment practices and/or educational programs or activities. Those concerned about the above should contact the Director of Human Resources, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9574.
Garden City Community College is complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and is committed to equal and reasonable access to facilities and programs for all employees, students and visitors. Those with ADA concerns, or who need special accommodations, should contact theCoordinator of Disabilities, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9638.
3/23/2018 12:00:00 AM