To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Augusta
Division: Electric Utility
Job Title: Power Plant Operator Trainee
Salary: $0 Hourly
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF WORK
Under general direction, performs skilled level of work in the operation of fossil fueled engines, electric generators and all associated equipment. Performs maintenance on City equipment
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs custodial and grounds maintenance, provides plant security, answers phones and dispatches crews for the electrical department.
- Performs startup and shutdown of dual fueled engines, generators and ancillary equipment.
- Takes periodic readings and logs data, acknowledges system alarms, monitors equipment metering and gauges and takes corrective action when necessary.
- Checks all rotating equipment for proper temperatures, oil levels, vibration, and fluid leakage and takes hourly equipment readings, lubricates and cleans rotating equipment as required.
- Operates computers and communications equipment for dispatching and logging purposes, operates electric SCADA system.
- Performs basic plant maintenance, groundskeeping, equipment maintenance, janitorial work, and record keeping.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the public.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Attends monthly safety meetings.
- Helps other team members accomplish tasks.
- Wears Personal Protective Equipment, as required.
- Maintains regular and punctual attendance and working hours.
- Abides by all standards, conduct and policies, as stated in Employee Handbook.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Education, Licensure, or Certification
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Kansas Class A CDL required within three months.
- Eligibility to participate in an approved apprentice program.
Experience, Specialized Knowledge, and Other Requirements
- Knowledge of the principals of plant operations involving thermal, chemical, mechanical and electric characteristics of the overall plant cycle.
- Ability to operate a wide variety of power tools, hand tools, grounds keeping equipment, and specialized tools and equipment.
- Basic computer skills.
- Basic math skills.
- Safe driving practices and knowledge of state and local laws pertaining to the operation of motor vehicles on streets, roads and highways.
Skills and Abilities – With or without reasonable accommodations
- Has ability to perform physical activities that require considerable use of arms and legs and moving the whole body, such as sitting, standing, walking, bending, climbing, twisting, squatting, reaching overhead, grasping, lifting, balancing, kneeling, pushing, pulling and handling of objects; is on feet most of shift.
- Has the ability of frequently lifting up to 75 pounds, occasionally 100 pounds with assistance.
- Has normal eyesight and depth perception, with or without correction. Ability to see and read instructions, meters, gauges, and technical materials. Must be able to distinguish between colors.
- Must possess hand/eye/foot coordination adequate to operate plant controls.
- Must hear normal tones, with or without correction.
- Has ability to work within environment described below.
- Ability to work under supervision and cooperatively with other employees.
- Ability to listen, understand, read and communicate information.
- Ability to react quickly, calmly and logically in emergencies.
- Ability to compute, analyze, and interpret numerical data for reporting purposes.
- Ability to perform tasks accurately, meeting precise tolerances and standards.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility in work environments, performing a variety of frequently changing tasks.
The physical and cognitive demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works inside with temperature extremes up to 130 degrees in generator operating room. The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions, including temperature extremes. The employee may regularly be exposed to fumes, diesel fuel, lube oils and other chemicals and toxins. The employee will be exposed to mechanical and electrical hazards. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate; is occasionally loud.
3/26/2018 12:00:00 AM