To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: City of Winfield
Division: Police Dept.
Job Title: Police Officer
Position Title: Police Officer
Reports to: Police Sergeant or Other Supervisor
Field: Protective Service Occupations
Pay Grade: 13 - $15.54 to $22.71
Patrol assigned area to enforce laws and ordinances, regulate traffic, control crowds, prevent crime, and arrest
• Record facts to prepare reports that document incidents and activities.
• Identify, pursue, and arrest suspects and perpetrators of criminal acts.
• Monitor, note, report, and investigate suspicious persons and situations, safety hazards, and unusual or illegal
activity in patrol area.
• Provide for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, enforcing
motor vehicle and criminal laws, and promoting good community relations.
• Testify in court to present evidence or act as witness in traffic and criminal cases.
• Direct traffic flow and reroute traffic in case of emergencies.
• Assists fire department, ambulance service, and other agencies as required.
• Issue citations or warnings to violators of motor vehicle ordinances.
• Occasionally serves as dispatcher.
• Render aid to accident victims and other persons requiring first aid for physical injuries.
• May assist new employees.
• Investigate traffic accidents and other accidents to determine causes and to determine if a crime has been
• Act as official escorts, such as when leading funeral processions or firefighters.
• Speaks before school and civic groups as required.
• Inspect public establishments to ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
• Deals with the public in a manner that positively promotes the image of the City and handles complaints and needs
• “This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He
or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her
• Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being
made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
• Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
• Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
• Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions,
conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
• Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
• Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
• Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
• Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and
• Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most
• Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
• Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
• Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words
• Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving
the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
• Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes
finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
• Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
• Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
• Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
• Speech Recognition - The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
• Reaction Time - The ability to quickly respond (with the hand, finger, or foot) to a signal (sound, light, picture) when it
• Multilimb Coordination - The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and
one arm) while sitting, standing, or lying down. It does not involve performing the activities while the whole body is in
• Stamina - The ability to exert yourself physically over long periods of time without getting winded or out of breath.
• Arm-Hand Steadiness - The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your
arm and hand in one position.
• Rate Control - The ability to time your movements or the movement of a piece of equipment in anticipation of
changes in the speed and/or direction of a moving object or scene.
• Memorization - The ability to remember information such as words, numbers, pictures, and procedures.
• Gross Body Equilibrium - The ability to keep or regain your body balance or stay upright when in an unstable
Experience and Education:
• Graduation from high school or GED; prefer 60 semester hours of college course work in criminal justice or closely
related field and/or certified as a Police Officer with one year of law enforcement experience.
• Possession of a valid driver’s license.
• Ability to perform moderate physical work, occasionally heavy work, and ability to lift 100pounds and to lift and carry
over 100 pounds.
• Ability to stand, walk, run, sit, ride, climb, bend, crawl, reach, push, pull, and perform similar body movements.
• Possesses hand/eye/foot coordination adequate to use fire arms, operate a vehicle, to use keyboard and other
office equipment, prepare reports, and to subdue prisoners/suspects.
• Ability to talk and hear in person, by telephone and two-way radio.
• Ability to see and read instructions, reports, policies, laws, similar documents, and observe incidents.
3/28/2018 12:00:00 AM
4/20/2018 11:59:59 PM