To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Geary County
Division: Animal Shelter
Job Title: Kennel Technician
Salary: $11.60 Hourly
GEARY COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Kennel Technician - FT Please apply online at www.HRePartners.com
FLSA: Non-Exempt Salary Range: $11.60
Reports To: Assistant Animal Shelter Director
Department: Animal Shelter Department Date: November, 2015
The job duties of the Kennel Technician include but are not limited to perform routine and technical services related to the maintenance, upkeep and improvements of the shelter; to care for the health, welfare, and well-being of animals at the shelter; and to provide responsive, courteous and efficient service to County residents and the general public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties described below are indicative of what the Kennel Technician might be asked to perform. This job description is to incorporate any County Resolutions for the position of Kennel Technician. This position description is not designed to list all tasks and responsibilities of this position. Geary County reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need may arise. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Feed and water all animals housed in the facility.
- Perform intake functions following specified checklist when animals are brought to shelter. Including such functions as:
- Complete paperwork regarding animal history and appearance.
- Administer vaccinations as instructed.
- Caging animal in appropriate area.
- Taking fecal sample for testing.
- Monitor health of animals reporting any suspicion of illnesses or disease.
- Maintain cleanliness and sanitation of facility including;
- Scooping fecal matter inside and outside building.
- Scrub and disinfect inside and outside of cages and fencing.
- Spray outside housing of shelter with disinfectant,
- Sweep and mop walking areas.
- Scrub and disinfect all feeding/watering dishes and litter boxes.
- Maintain clean bedding in clean cages.
- Dust objects and washing walls, bathroom, lobby and office area.
- Trash removal.
- Answer telephone and greet and assist public.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required at the time of hire or for the continuation of employment.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENC:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Two (2) years hands-on experience working in a shelter, rescue or other closely related facility is preferred.
- A valid Kansas driver’s license .
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge in care and treatment of animals.
- Ability to recognize possibility of illnesses.
- Ability to deal with animals of all breed and temperaments, have no fear of animals and no extreme allergies.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with the public.
- Ability to take control of situations in a responsible manner.
- Ability to comprehend, retain and apply County, State, and Federal policies and legislation, i.e. local ordinances, procedure manuals, MSDS sheets, safety manuals; and warning labels.
EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ability to operate various types of equipment – standard office equipment, computer and basic knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Other cleaning equipment could be required.
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a professional and friendly manner with customers, citizens, co-workers and management.
- Ability to communicate in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to develop, interpret and implement local policies and procedures; written instructions, general correspondence, Federal, State, and local regulations, MSDS sheets, safety manuals, operating and repair manuals, etc; and warning labels.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to respond to complaints and grievances posed by the public.
- Ability to define problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
- Ability to use good judgment and effectively solve problems.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and work environments described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 70 pounds), grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Works in both indoor and outdoor settings.
- Extreme weather conditions can be encountered.
- The facility is open seven (7) days a week, therefore some weekend and holiday work is expected.
- Due to the volume, scope, size of staff and nature of public service this office provides, full-time regular attendance is essential.
_____________________________ __________ __________________________ __________
Supervisor Date Human Resources Director Date
I have reviewed the Job Description for the position of Kennel Technician. I understand the position requirements described and agree to uphold the requirements to the best of my ability. Any questions I may have in relation to the work required of the position shall be brought to the attention of my supervisor.
Employee Signature Date
3/30/2018 12:00:00 AM