To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Arkansas City
Division: Parks & Facilities
Job Title: Temporary/Seasonal Horticulturalist
Salary: $10.00 Hourly
(Parks & Facilities)
The City of Arkansas City is seeking a Seasonal/Temporary Horticulturalist with Parks & Facilities. It will pay $10.00 per hour and will not include benefits, except those required by law.
The successful applicant must have a valid drivers license and must pass post-offer, pre-employment drug/alcohol screens, background checks and motor vehicle report.
Please apply through Kansas HRePartners at www.hrepartners.com
Applications accepted until position is filled with initial review beginning
Friday, May 4, 2018.
CITY OF ARKANSAS CITY
Department: City Manager Pay Range: 10
Division: Parks & Facilities Location: Park Shop
FLSA: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Work Shift: Generally M-F (unless otherwise necessary)
Work Status: Temporary/Seasonal
PCP Level: N/A
KPERS: Non-Covered Position
Response Time: None
Cell Allowance: No
City Manager Signature: Date Approved:
GENERAL OVERVIEW OF POSITION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs routine horticultural duties including design, installation and maintenance of planting areas. Duties include purchase of plant materials, preparation of plant beds, planting, watering, weeding, application of ground cover and other related duties.
Works under the general guidance and direction of the Parks and Facilities Director.
Essential functions of the job may include but are not limited to the following:
- Designs planting areas and prepares planting beds.
- Plants flowers, ornamental grasses, shrubs and other plant material.
- Ensures downtown flower pots are watered and tended on a regular basis for optimal appearance.
- Maintains planting areas including weeding, watering, raking ground cover and other items as required.
- Maintains records such as equipment, material and plant inventory.
- Waters and feeds plants as necessary to provide them with the longest growing season and best performance possible.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of plant materials, procedures for installation and maintenance of planting areas.
- Skill in operation of landscaping/gardening tools and equipment.
- Ability to work safely.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments/divisions, and the public.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Ability to perform at a satisfactory level with limited supervision and/or assistance in job assignments.
COMMITMENT TO MISSION AND ORGANIZATIONAL VALUES
It is each employee’s commitment to uphold these core values while representing the City of Arkansas City in carrying out municipal duties as public servants. These values should form the basis for interactions with the general public, with other agencies and with each other.
The City of Arkansas City strives to provide a high quality of life for its citizens by furnishing a variety of efficient services in a professional, courteous manner.
Statement of Organizational Values
We value Professional Ethics, which includes:
- Stewardship of resources
- Non-discriminatory behavior
- Professionalism & personal courtesy
We value Commitment to Citizens through Customer Service, which includes:
- Courteous interaction with the public
- Pride & ownership
- Programs that address citizen needs
- A sense of urgency and responsiveness
- A service-oriented approach to patrons
- Listening as well as hearing
We value Commitment to Excellence, which includes:
- An ability to see the big picture
- A sense of pride
- A commitment to employee knowledge
- Employee professionalism
- Protection of health, safety & public welfare
- A willingness to embrace change
- A commitment to organizational goals
- Clear communication
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or acceptable equivalent required.
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a safe driving record as determined by the employer.
PRE- EMPLOYMENT TESTING
Components of the following pre-employment testing may be conducted and must be successfully completed by the employee:
- Criminal history background checks.
- Motor vehicle report.
- Drug screen.
- Alcohol testing.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND CONDITIONS
The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS
Lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, reaching, sitting, standing, walking and other physical functions as required by the job.
This job description is intended to identify and illustrate the kinds of duties that may be assigned. It should not be interpreted as describing all of the duties that may ever be required or be used to limit the nature and extent of assignments given. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The City of Arkansas City is an At-Will employer.
4/25/2018 12:00:00 AM