To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Arkansas City
Division: Public Works/Environmental Services
Job Title: Temporary/Seasonal Hydrant Flusher
Salary: $10.00 Hourly
Temporary/Seasonal Hydrant Flusher
The City of Arkansas City is seeking a Seasonal/Temporary Hydrant Flusher with Public Works. It will pay $10.00 per hour and will not include benefits, except those required by law.
The successful applicant must have a valid drivers license and must pass post-offer, pre-employment drug/alcohol screens, background checks and motor vehicle report.
Please apply through Kansas HRePartners at www.hrepartners.com
Applications accepted until position is filled with initial review beginning
Friday, May 4, 2018.
CITY OF ARKANSAS CITY
TEMPORARY/SEASONAL HYDRANT FLUSHER
Department: Public Works Pay Range: 10
Division: Environmental Services Location: Bryant Shop
FLSA: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Work Shift: Generally M-F (unless otherwise necessary)
Work Status: Temporary/Seasonal
PCP Level: N/A
KPERS: Non-Covered Position
Response Time: None
Cell Allowance: No
City Manager Signature: Date Approved:
GENERAL OVERVIEW OF POSITION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs a variety of skilled and complex maintenance work and operates a variety of equipment in the maintenance of City water mains and fire hydrants.
Works under the general guidance and direction of the Water Distribution & Collection Supervisor.
Essential functions of the job may include but are not limited to the following:
- Flushes water mains through fire hydrants.
- Monitors water quality, pressure and run off.
- Analyzes and records fire hydrant flow data.
- Paints fire hydrants to reflect available flow.
- Maintains a variety of records relating to job duties.
- Insures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking after each use.
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned equipment and refers defects or repairs to the appropriate person.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Some knowledge of equipment, materials, methods and procedures used in flushing water lines and fire hydrants.
- Skill in the operation of hand tools and equipment.
- Ability to work safely.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments/divisions and the public.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Ability to perform at a satisfactory level with limited supervision and/or assistance in job assignments.
COMMITMENT TO MISSION AND ORGANIZATIONAL VALUES
It is each employee’s commitment to uphold these core values while representing the City of Arkansas City in carrying out municipal duties as public servants. These values should form the basis for interactions with the general public, with other agencies and with each other.
The City of Arkansas City strives to provide a high quality of life for its citizens by furnishing a variety of efficient services in a professional, courteous manner.
Statement of Organizational Values
We value Professional Ethics, which includes:
- Stewardship of resources
- Non-discriminatory behavior
- Professionalism & personal courtesy
We value Commitment to Citizens through Customer Service, which includes:
- Courteous interaction with the public
- Pride & ownership
- Programs that address citizen needs
- A sense of urgency and responsiveness
- A service-oriented approach to patrons
- Listening as well as hearing
We value Commitment to Excellence, which includes:
- An ability to see the big picture
- A sense of pride
- A commitment to employee knowledge
- Employee professionalism
- Protection of health, safety & public welfare
- A willingness to embrace change
- A commitment to organizational goals
- Clear communication
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or acceptable equivalent required.
CERTIFICATION(S) AND LICENSE(S)
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a safe driving record as determined by the employer.
PRE- EMPLOYMENT TESTING
Components of the following pre-employment testing may be conducted and must be successfully completed by the employee:
- Criminal history background checks.
- Motor vehicle report.
- Drug screen.
- Alcohol testing.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND CONDITIONS
The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS
Lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, reaching, sitting, standing, walking and other physical functions as required by the job.
This job description is intended to identify and illustrate the kinds of duties that may be assigned. It should not be interpreted as describing all of the duties that may ever be required or be used to limit the nature and extent of assignments given. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The City of Arkansas City is an At-Will employer.
4/25/2018 12:00:00 AM