To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Ottawa
Job Title: Laborer/Maintenance Worker I- Cemetery
Salary: $13.38 Hourly
Position Summary: The City of Ottawa, Kansas is recruiting for a Laborer/Maintenance Worker I. Under the supervision and at the direction of the Cemetery Sexton, the Laborer/Maintenance Worker I performs manual labor tasks in cemetery maintenance in order to keep grounds clean and presentable for public use. This position assists with tree pruning, removal, and planting, as well as landscape and equipment maintenance and repair.
How to Apply: Complete On-Line Application at www.HRePartners.com.
Range: Grade 06 - $13.38 to $18.06
Date Opened: May 9, 2018
Date Closed: May 27, 2018
Hours: 7:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Overtime may be required.
E-Mail Confirmation: After your application has been received by the City of Ottawa, you will receive confirmation by e-mail. Please check your SPAM filter or JUNK Mail. If you have not received information within 48 hours of submitting your application, please call 785-229-3634 to verify application has been received. For additional information, contact Human Resources at 785-229-3634 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Ottawa conducts background checks and drug screening on all potential candidates.
Anyone with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human Resources Department at 785-229-3634 at least two days prior to a scheduled test or interview.
The City of Ottawa is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Job Title Laborer/Maintenance Worker I
Department Public Works / Cemeteries
Reports To Sexton
FLSA Status Non-Exempt (eligible for overtime pay)
Salary Grade 6
OSHA Hazard Communication, Bloodborne Pathogens
Last Update December 2016
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
The Laborer/Maintenance Worker I performs manual labor tasks in cemetery maintenance in order to keep grounds clean and presentable for public use. This position assists with tree pruning, removal, and planting, as well as landscape and equipment maintenance and repair.
Essential Job Functions:
- Plant, prune, trim, and remove trees/limbs as directed, including the removal of dead/dangerous trees, stumps, and debris from tree pruning/removal operations.
- Complete lawn care and landscaping activities for cemeteries, including chemical application and pest control.
- Operate a variety of motorized equipment to complete job duties. Perform operator-level maintenance on equipment used.
- Follow appropriate safety precautions with respect to arborist activities and work zone safety.
- Perform general construction work related to maintenance of cemeteries.
- Make recommendations to the Sexton on the replacement or purchase of mowing equipment and other assets; provide information to the Sexton regarding the budget process.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ancillary Job Functions:
- Complete necessary written documentation and reports.
- Comply with all City ordinances and policies.
- Assist with levee flood control.
- Haul snow and assist with snow/ice removal from roadways as directed.
- Assist other departments and perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: (Combination of education, training, and experience will be considered)
- High school diploma or equivalent; some college credit in Horticulture, Forestry, Agronomy, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of two years of construction and arborist work.
- Must maintain valid driver’s license; CDL preferred.
- Arborist and Commercial Herbicide/Pesticide Applicator certifications preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: (Not all-inclusive)
- Knowledge of carpentry, plumbing, general mechanics, welding, and other related trade work.
- Ability to receive, understand, and comply with written and oral instructions.
- General knowledge of grounds maintenance.
- Ability to safely operate various types of mechanical equipment to complete job tasks.
- Familiarity with basic computer operations and ability to generate varied reports using word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other employees, City officials, business entities, and the general public.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work as well as concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work under general supervision and make responsible decisions.
- Ability to use good judgment and think quickly and rationally in difficult or stressful situations.
- May be required to work in confined spaces, hazardous traffic conditions, or high/dangerous places.
- May be exposed to wet/humid conditions, inclement outdoor weather, vibration, extreme temperatures, mechanical oils, airborne particles/fumes, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, potentially hazardous bodily fluids, potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents/chemicals, or very loud noise levels.
- May be required to wear a respirator in certain situations.
Physical Abilities: (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions)
- Must be able to talk, hear, grasp, push, stand, walk, drive, reach with hands/arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, balance, operate mechanical equipment, and move up and down from/to sitting position on the floor.
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist/hand/finger movement and manual dexterity.
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination, clarity of vision, three-dimensional vision, and ability to identify/distinguish colors.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
5/9/2018 12:00:00 AM
5/27/2018 11:59:59 PM