To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of McPherson
Division: Animal Control
Job Title: Animal Shelter Technician
Salary: $11.75 Hourly
Applicants should apply on HRePartners website by choosing the "Create an Account" button (or "Log In" buttong if you already have an account) OR Send a resume and cover letter to the City Clerk/HR Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
City of McPherson Animal Shelter
Under the supervision of the Animal Shelter Director, at the direction of the Chief of Police, the Animal Shelter Technician is a non-exempt position under FLSA which serves the citizens of McPherson. This position is responsible for providing animal care and maintaining shelter facilities. This employee should possess excellent public relation, organization and communication skills.
- Cares for shelter animals including feeding, changing water, and monitoring animal health;
- Maintains appropriate records;
- Performs data entry for incoming animals and day-to-day activities;
- Answers questions regarding the licensing, impounding, adoption, and disposal of animals;
- Collects and accounts for monies received in the adoption of unclaimed animals, city licensing and impound fees;
- Assists public in locating lost pets;
- Assists in the unloading of incoming animals when activity permits;
- Completes a daily inventory of all animals in assigned work area;
- Perform cleaning duties including removing feces, disinfecting, and disposing of bio-hazards;
- Cleans the shelter building; washing windows, sweeping floors, removing trash, and dusting;
- Unloads, stores and replenishes shelter supplies;
- Assists with development and providing training related to animal services, animal control, impound procedures, and investigation of animal abuse and neglect for Officers of the Department;
- Assists with monitoring and updating Animal Shelter social media;
- Assumes responsibility for the Animal Shelter in the absence of the Animal Shelter Director;
- Follows Department policies and procedures;
- Follows safety procedures and practices.
ELEMENT OF RISK
- Operates department vehicles to transport animals if needed;
- Coordinates the work of volunteers;
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
ANIMAL SHELTER TECHNICIAN
Experience: Animal Shelter and/or Animal Control related experience is preferred. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within one year of employment.
Education: A high school diploma or GED is required, and a technical Degree or some college credit in Veterinary Medicine is preferred. This employee must possess a valid Kansas Driver’s License.
Technical Skills: This employee must be able to operate computers, department vehicles, hand tools, and other department equipment. The ability to understand and anticipate problems, to enforce department safety policies and procedures, and to interpret written instructions, reports, and manuals is required. This employee should possess excellent public relation, organizational, oral and written communication skills. Must demonstrate knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations affecting animal care and control, community agencies and organizations applicable to animal services. This employee must have a working knowledge of the different breeds of dogs, their handling, care and behavior, diseases, and department policies and procedures.
Problem Solving: Some independent problem solving is involved in this position. This employee encounters problems with animal emergencies, and citizen complaints.
Decision Making: Some independent decision-making is involved in this position. This employee makes decisions about resolving animal emergencies, citizen complaints, prioritizing assignments, and performing daily duties in the safest and most efficient manner.
Supervision: This employee works independently with supervision from the Animal Shelter Director, at the direction of the Chief of Police and/or designee. This employee has no supervisory duties.
Financial Accountability: This employee is responsible for the safe operation of department equipment, does have limited authority to purchase necessary supplies.
Personal Relations: Daily contact with the general public, co-workers, supervisory personnel and the Chief of Police, the City Administrator, and the City Commission may be expected.
Working Conditions: Some adverse working conditions exist within this position. Exposure to blood borne pathogens, hazardous chemicals and excessive noise is expected. This position contains an element of risk to personal safety while performing the day-to-day duties. This employee may be required to handle dangerous animals.
Physical Requirements: Some manual labor including lifting and carrying heavy objects, extensive walking, and the general handling of large animals to operate departmental equipment is required daily in this position.
Residential Requirements: Must obtain residency within McPherson County.
5/14/2018 12:00:00 AM
5/22/2018 11:59:59 PM