To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Garden City Community College
Division: Garden City Community College
Job Title: Director of Public Relations
Role: Develop effective communication, writes news releases, feature articles, special articles, speeches, postings, scripts, and reports for Garden City Community College. Develop and ad campaigns to a defined target audience. Prepare ads in coordination with the Executive Committee to promote the message of the college for radio, television, and newsprint.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Schedule and coordinate radio, newspaper and television appearances.
- Assists administrators, faculty, and staff in effectively presenting and/or improving information related to their programs, services, and activities to promote understanding and support for the community.
- Assists representatives of the community and news media in obtaining information and materials regarding college activities and college programs for the community.
- Work with individual programs on campus to promote academic programs and events.
- Edits and revises materials for publication.
- Assists administrators with media relations during crisis situations; facilities public safety information during an emergency or natural disasters.
- Oversee media relations and maintain outstanding relationships with reporters, editors, and producers to create favorable media coverage and public opinion.
- May represent the college and at internal and external events serving as the spokesperson.
- Attends various administrative meetings to gather information and identify publicity goals.
- Monitors news flow for effectiveness and efficiency.
- Plans, coordinates, schedules, publicizes, and attends special college, and community events.
- Updates and maintains news and event content on Web pages and social networks.
- Takes photos and/or video records special events and distributes photos and/or videos to appropriate sources.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
Experience: Three to five years of similar or related experience. Previous experience working with newspapers, television, radio, websites and with social media preferred. Exceptional writing and editing skills.
Education: Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in related field. Master’s degree preferred.
Interpersonal Skills: Possess initiative, creativity and ability to prioritize and plan effectively. Courtesy, tact, and diplomacy are essential elements of the job. Work involves much personal contact with others inside and outside the college for purposes of giving or obtaining information, building relations or soliciting cooperation.
Other Skills: Three to five years public relations, and/or writing or editing experience is required. Experience working with media, experience in higher education preferred. Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or public relations required. Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communications skills are necessary. Ability to operate computer equipment and software including word processing, spreadsheet, and internal database mainframe for record keeping and communication purposes (Microsoft Office preferred). Occasional evening and/or weekend hours may be required.
Physical Requirements: The work is generally sedentary. Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking, standing, bending, carrying of light items, driving an automobile, etc. Job requires minimal agility and dexterity.
Work Environment: Work is generally performed in an indoor setting, but some work is outdoors.
7/25/2018 12:00:00 AM