Employer: Butler County
Division: Computer Services
Job Title: Information Technology Specialist
Salary: $0 Hourly
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Supervisor, this position is a technical position involving installation, troubleshooting and diagnostics of network, computer systems, software programs and telecommunication equipment. The employee in this position assists in training county personnel in the proper use of software programs and how to troubleshoot. The employee assists in the enforcement of county information technology policies. The employee in this position must have the ability to work independently and exercise initiative and good judgment.
Examples of Work (Essential Functions):
• Assists in management of county owned file servers, including maintenance, troubleshooting, diagnosing hardware and software issues for networks, telephone systems, servers, routers, switches, firewalls and personal computers;
• Performs preventative maintenance and upgrades on a schedule, equipment replacement;
• Assists in monitoring and enforcement of computer system security and policies;
• Plans, leads, develops and assists in training of computer systems users especially during new system rollouts or upgrades;
• Assists users in operation of computers and software;
• Plans, leads, and manages or participates in hardware or software projects including working with a diverse group of users and customers all with various needs;
• Creates and manages users, user groups and computer accounts to include security and permissions;
• Maintains document imaging administration, performs backups of systems, track and record inventory;
• Maintains electronic mail system to include server and software migrations/upgrades;
• Monitors all mobile device and remote connections to servers;
• Orders, installs and configures mobile data devices and activate service;
• Designs, creates and maintains the public website, web hosting support;
• Installs and configures devices to include the programming and routing of calls, setup of automated menus, voicemail accounts and placement of devices;
• Installs, configures, and maintains peripheral and networked equipment such as rack mounted servers, routers, printers, scanners, plotters, GIS equipment, copper and fiber network cabling and other devices;
• Maintains and tracks various support agreements and maintenance plans;
• Works with vendors and contractors to provide technical support and/or maintenance of customized software applications, database systems;
• Provides database and application solution strategy, technical design, architecture, and support for carrying out the implementation of enterprise database development;
• Identifies improvement opportunities; Examples include but not limited to tools, processes, procedures, installation, configuration and troubleshooting techniques;
• Performs other duties as deemed necessary or as required.
Examples of Work (Marginal Functions):
Certificate, License: Valid driver's license. Microsoft certification preferred.
Required Education and/or Experience: Three years related experience, High School Diploma or G.E.D.; or Associate’s degree and one year experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well after six months in the position. Computer experience in data processing, electronic repair and network technologies.
Preferred Education and/or Experience: Four years related experience, High School Diploma or G.E.D.; or a Bachelor’s degree from a college or university; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Microsoft certification preferred.
Abilities, Knowledge, Skills:
• Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form;
• Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry;
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume;
• Ability to convey and receive detailed and important verbal and written instructions to and from other workers and the general public;
• Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations;
• Ability to express ideas to others by means of verbal and written communication;
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals;
• Ability to reliably and predictably carry out duties;
• Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of an organization;
• Ability to write routine reports and correspondence;
• Knowledge of computer and telecommunications equipment installation and repair;
• Knowledge of computer networking technologies;
• Knowledge of Microsoft Access and SQL, knowledge of Internet and E-mail applications;
• Knowledgeable of software utilities and operating systems such as OS400, WINDOWS98, WINDOWS NT and WINDOWS 2000;
• Skill in interpersonal communication.
Problem Solving: Problem solving is a factor in this position. Problems include designing and changing computer systems and software and deciphering error symptoms and messages. Analyzing network performance issues and make proper adjustments.
Decision Making: Limited decision making exist in this position. Decisions include determining solutions to computer and software-related problems and Network and Telecommunications issues.
Accountability: Employee does not have budgetary control of the department and does not participate in the annual department budget process. Employee does have access to County equipment assets in excess of $100,000.
Supervision: Limited supervision is provided and job related the Computer Services Administrator occasionally reviews decisions. Employee does not have supervisory responsibility over subordinate personnel.
Personal Relationships: Continual contact with other departments and vendors and some contact with the general public.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is exposed less than one third of the time to conditions such moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Some adverse working conditions exist relative to equipment repair in close proximity to high voltage and moving machinery. Adverse working conditions may arise when working with in secured areas and the Detention Center.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk; use hands to finger, grasp, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and stoop, squat, bend, twist, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Lifting, moving, pushing or pulling up to 10 pounds does generally occur. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
6/22/2018 12:00:00 AM
7/31/2018 11:59:59 PM