To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Bel Aire
Division: Planning & Zoning
Job Title: Code Enforcement Officer
CITY OF BEL AIRE
Class Title: Code Enforcement Officer
Department: Planning & Zoning
Salary Schedule: Hourly, Non-Exempt Step 1 ($14.67) – Step 15 ($20.72)
- This position is responsible for ensuring compliance with all laws, codes, and ordinances related to Zoning and Storm water.
- Works under the general supervision of the Planning & Zoning Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Inspect construction sites for compliance with building, zoning, and storm water codes.
- Respond to and investigate zoning complaints for tall grass, junk, debris, etc. in compliance with City codes.
- Follow up on inspections for violations and secures compliance with codes and laws.
- Write reports, prepare correction notices, write tickets, issue uniform Criminal Complaints and appear in court.
- Issues written and oral instructions.
- Enforces ordinances and codes of the City as well as applicable laws of the state and federal government.
- Fields questions, concerns, and complaints related to departmental policies and procedures.
- Assists co-workers in permit issuance and other related responsibilities.
- Performs maintenance related to public building and grounds.
- Assists other departments as needed.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- High School diploma or GED.
- A technical degree, college degree or thorough knowledge of construction, code enforcement, zoning or related area preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to read, interpret, and explain codes, ordinances, resolutions, and regulations.
- Ability to take complete inspection report notes in the field and enter database information into a computer/laptop/mobile device.
- Ability to operate a camera, computer, laptop and other electronic devices.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationship with contractors and the general public.
- Capable of frequent problem solving encountered in various situations.
- Knowledge of various types of building construction preferred.
- Must possess a valid Kansas driver’s license and maintain a good driving record while employed
- Must pass a KBI Background check
- Must pass pre-employment drug screen and physical
- Manual labor including lifting and carrying objects, bending, kneeling and climbing is required daily to fulfill the duties of this position.
- Some adverse working conditions exist with this position. Exposure to hazardous chemicals, heavy machinery, traffic, excessive noise, uneven terrain, unpleasant smells, heights, electricity and natural gas in all types of weather conditions can be expected.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, run, drive, push, pull, carry, see, hear, speak, crawl, use hands, climb, kneel, smell and other similar types of functions.
- The employee may occasionally be required to lift and/or move more than 35 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Most work will be performed outdoors in various types of conditions.
- The job is performed primarily during the daytime hours but must be available for special situations and times.
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
I have read this position description and understand its contents.
Employee Signature Date
6/28/2018 12:00:00 AM
7/31/2018 11:59:59 PM