To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: City of Argonia
Division: Police Department
Job Title: Chief of Police
Salary: $40000.00 Annually
CHIEF OF POLICE-CITY OF ARGONIA
Under the direct supervision of the Mayor and the City Council, the Chief of Police is an exempt position under FLSA. The primary responsibility of this position is the enforcement of all federal, state and local laws and ordinances. This employee should possess excellent organizational, managerial, communication and public relation skills.
- Enforces all federal, state and local laws and ordinances;
- Personally abides by all City ordinances;
- Diplomatically fields questions, concerns, and complaints from the general public;
- Resolves citizen’s concerns;
- Prepares and completes all reports;
- Supervises the operation of the Police Department
- Supervises, evaluates, and trains other police department personnel;
- Patrols streets of the City and other jurisdictions approved by the City Council (with a strong presence around the schools during daily starting and ending times);
- Responsibility for animal control, weed/grass and dead vehicle ordinances within the City;
- Investigates citizen complaints and resolves same with citizens;
- Files and maintains department reports;
- Investigates crime scenes, seizes and preserves evidence;
- Provides traffic and security control for special events-especially school and community events;
- Investigates suspicious conditions and complaints;
- Prepares and submits reports requested by Mayor and/or City Council;
- Maintains certification required by the state;
- The ability to pass and maintain all physical activities and requirements of the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center is required;
- At all times, places the safety and concerns of the Argonia community above all other contracted responsibilities;
- Building Inspector and Safety Officer;
- Enforces all department and City policies and procedures;
- Able to develop and maintain a positive working relationship with other City employees and organizations;
- Public image- Always represents the City and its employees in a positive manner-in dress and behavior.
- Acts as law enforcement representative for Emergency Preparedness activities;
- Assists and cooperates with other departments as needed;
- Performs other duties deemed necessary or assigned by the Mayor and/or City Council.
CHIEF OF POLICE-CITY OF ARGONIA
EXPERIENCE: Law enforcement experience, with some supervisory law enforcement experience is preferred. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within one year of employment.
EDUCATION: A college degree in Criminal Justice or a related field is not required. This position requires graduation from the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center, Intoxilyzer 5000 Certification, Radar Certification and a valid Kansas Driver’s License. NCIC Terminal Operators Permit is preferred.
TECHNICAL SKILLS: A working knowledge of all federal, state, and local laws and ordinances, computers, law enforcement techniques, law enforcement supervision and mathematics is required. This employee must be able to efficiently operate firearms, computers, two-way radios, intoxilyzer, various camera equipment, department vehicles and other department equipment. The ability to interpret data, to complete and check reports and documents, to develop department policies and procedures, to understand and anticipate problems, to read and interpret manuals, legal documents, reports and written instructions is required. This employee should possess excellent public relations, supervisory, managerial, organizational, oral and written communication skills.
PROBLEM SOLVING: Frequent independent problem solving is a factor in this position. This employee encounters problems with personnel issues, citizen complaints, criminal investigations, domestic violence and budget concerns.
DECISION MAKING: Frequent independent decision making is involved in this position. The employee makes decisions about prioritizing assignments, personnel issues, and citizen complaints, preparing the annual budget, performing investigations, making arrests, and performing daily duties in the safest and most efficient manner.
SUPERVISION: This position works under the direct supervision of the Mayor and City Council and cooperatively with the City Clerk.
FINANCIAL ACCOUNTABILITY: This employee is responsible for department resources and equipment and has the authority to purchase necessary equipment and supplies within the limits established by the City Council. This employee does participate in the annual budget process.
PERSONAL RELATIONS: Daily contact with the general public, other City personnel, and frequent contact with the City’s governing body is expected. This employee shall at all times abide by federal, state and local laws and ordinances. Employee always represents the City and its employees in a positive manner-dress and behavior- whether on duty or not.
RESIDENCE: Employee must live within the Argonia City limits.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Adverse working conditions exist within this position. Exposure to hazardous chemicals, explosives, heights, excessive noise and all types of weather conditions is expected. This position contains an element of risk to personal safety. This employee is exposed to blood borne pathogens while investigating crime scenes, seizing and preserving evidence and assisting ambulance crews.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The ability to pass and maintain all physical activities and requirements of the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center is required.
***This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. The above represents typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
7/1/2018 12:00:00 AM