To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: City of Fairway
Division: Police Department
Job Title: Law Enforcement Officer
Salary: $0 Annually
The Fairway, Kansas Police Department is seeking certified, proactive and community oriented law enforcement officers to laterally fill one open sworn position. Candidates must have graduated from the Basic Academy at the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center or any of KLETC's certified and authorized satellite academy programs, or be eligible for reciprocity certification from Kansas CPOST and KLETC.
The City of Fairway offers excellent pay and competitive benefits, a supportive community, ten-hour shifts, excellent equipment and a supportive work environment. Compensation is based upon law enforcement tenure and experience.
Applications are available online at https://www.fairwaykansas.org/ - Employment. Applications can be mailed to or dropped off at:
Fairway Kansas Police Department
Fairway, KS 66205
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK: FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Performs responsible protective service work involving a variety of general or support duty police assignments; does related work as required. Work is frequently performed under emergency situations and involves considerable personal hazard and danger. Work may be performed under supervision; however, employee must be able to work independently.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TASKS/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Additional responsibilities may fall upon an Officer, as circumstances require.)
Enforcing laws; investigating criminal activity; ensuring safety of public; testifying in court; maintaining records and files; preparing reports.
- On an assigned shift operates a patrol vehicle, motorcycle, or walks to observe for violations of traffic laws, felony and misdemeanor crimes, suspicious activities or persons and disturbances of law and order.
- Responds to all calls for service in the City of Fairway (and surrounding communities if needed) in a prompt, efficient, and objective manner.
- Enforces traffic laws; issues citations for traffic violations.
- Makes arrests for felony and misdemeanor crimes. Testifies in court and will be prepared by meeting with prosecutor as needed prior to hearing or trial.
- Performs residential and commercial checks.
- Fills out arrest records, fingerprints, photographs, etc.; performs prisoner security functions; investigates traffic accidents.
- Investigates or assists in investigation of crime scenes. Labels, documents, collects, photographs and fingerprints evidence at the crime scene. Documents investigations and crime scene activity through accurate written reports, photographic and/or video techniques. Conducts necessary follow up on pending cases or reports as needed to help other Officers complete an investigation in a timely manner.
- Maintains assigned equipment.
- Maintains the highest standards of appearance on duty.
- Prepares detailed reports on activities and assignments.
- Participates in a variety of in-service training programs. Performs miscellaneous duties for City Administration.
- May be assigned to a specialized unit or task force.
- Performs related tasks as required.
- Maintain the necessary skills needed to operate a two-way radio, Mobil Data Terminal, or other equipment needed to complete an assignment (software programs and PPE, as examples).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
General knowledge of police methods, practices and procedures; general knowledge of the geography of the City and surrounding communities, general knowledge of the location of important buildings and residences that by their nature or occupancy may become the focus of a special circumstance. General knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Police Department; ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear comprehensive reports; ability to deal courteously, firmly and tactfully with the public; ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances; possession of physical agility and endurance; skill in the use of firearms and the operation of a motor vehicle. Maintain a high degree of proficiency with all assigned and readily available department firearms and defensive tools. Have a working knowledge of all specialized department firearms and equipment.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and significant experience as a Police Officer is the minimum requirement for this position. An advanced degree and or specialized training is preferred.
This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, and feeling; vocal communication is required for conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, and/or quickly; hearing is required to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, operation of machines, operation of motor vehicles and equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, noise, vibration, hazards, atmospheric conditions, and oils. The worker may be exposed to blood borne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.
Must be at least 21 years of age on date of employment. Possession of a valid States Drivers license and have a driving record which meets the City’s insurance requirements. Possession of Kansas Law Enforcement Officer Certification within one year of hire. Must meet and maintain all department and state training and education requirements for position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. Successful candidates must pass a hiring process to include a background investigation, polygraph or similar exam, psychological assessment, physical capacity test and drug screening.
The City of Fairway is an equal opportunity employer.
7/3/2018 12:00:00 AM