Employer: Sedgwick County
Division: Public Works
Job Title: Equipment Operator I
Salary: $11.909 Hourly
Veterans' Preference is available for this vacancy.
To receive Veterans' Preference, you must supply a copy of your DD214 to the Human Resources department at Sedgwick County after applying.
Performs general maintenance and repair duties on County infrastructure. Participates in snow/ice removal procedures and right of way mowing.
Essential Job Functions:
Repair asphalt, gravel and concrete surfaced roads
- Assists with installation, repair and maintenance of culverts
- General maintenance work in grading, patching and maintaining improved & unimproved roads
- Assists with applying cold patch or hot mix asphalt to fix potholes
- Maintenance, repair and replacement of work zone and basic roadway signage
- Fills cracks in road surface
- Works as flagman during road construction projects.
- Wears PPE and follows local, state and federal safety regulations
Operates light and medium weight equipment for road construction work
- Operates a wheeled tractor with attachments for mowing and other projects along County right of way
- Operates a dump truck for hauling material
- Assists with loading and unloading material and equipment
- Conducts basic preventative maintenance on vehicles & equipment
- Performs manual work associated with equipment operations
Participates in snow and ice removal operations
- Operates a dump truck with blade and spreader to clear roads of snow and ice
- Operates loader to load material for snow & ice removal
- Rides shotgun with other operators to assist with snow & ice removal
- Maintains equipment in good condition
- Ensures equipment is cleaned, fueled and loaded for follow on shift
- Reports problems immediately to shift supervisor
Initiative: Actively seeks and identifies opportunities to contribute to and achieve goals. Maintains a sense of purpose, value, and ownership of their work. Seizes opportunities when they arise.
Customer Focus: Shows interest in and understanding of the needs and expectations of internal and external customers; acts with customers in mind and strives for continuous improvement in products and services. Gains customer trust and respect; meets or exceeds customer expectations.
Teamwork: Participates as an active and contributing member of a team to achieve team goals. Works cooperatively with other team members, involves others, shares information as appropriate, and shares credit for team accomplishments
Listening: Listens attentively to others, asks clarifying questions, actively listens, is respectful and professional in dealing with others, stays open to other viewpoints
Adaptability: Adapts well to changes in assignments and priorities; adapts behavior or work methods in response to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles; approaches change positively and adjusts behaviors accordingly; focusing on being part of the solution
Educational Requirements: High School diploma or equivalent
License, certifications, etc… Valid Kansas Drivers License
License, certifications, etc… Kansas Commercial Drivers License Class B w/air brakes & tanker endorsements
Physical Requirements of Position:
- Stooping. Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist.
- Crouching. Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
- Reaching. Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Pushing. Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward.
- Pulling. Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Lifting. Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position.
- Climbing. Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized.
- Heavy work. Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- The employee is required to have visual acuity to operate motor vehicles and/or heavy equipment.
Usual working days/hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Location of work: East Yard - 2200 S Webb Rd
The employee is subject to hazards. Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals, exposure to adverse weather conditions.
*Please note this job posting is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice*
*This position may be filled or closed to further application without notice. Must be at least 18 years of age to work for Sedgwick County*
It is the policy of Sedgwick County not to discriminate in its programs or services provided to the general public, including employment and all other activities, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other similarly protected status. Sedgwick County is committed to making the application, interview, and pre-employment testing process accessible to persons with disabilities. If you wish to volunteer information regarding any special assistance you may need, please notify Crissy Magee, Sedgwick County ADA Coordinator, by phone (316) 660-7056, TDD (Kansas Relay at 711 or 800-766-3777), or email at email@example.com. Do not send resumes or application status request or employment questions to this email or phone number. This information is provided only for those requiring ADA assistance. Applications must be submitted on www.hrepartners.com. You will be contacted should the department feel that you are a qualified candidate. Sedgwick County will prohibit the hiring of spouses and/or immediate family members within the same department, but not within the County structure.
7/6/2018 12:00:00 AM
7/27/2018 11:59:59 PM