To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: WSU Tech
Division: Student Services/High School Partnerships
Job Title: The College Advantage Coordinator
Salary: $16.66 Hourly
The College Advantage is WSU Tech’s outreach program with a mission to develop the college capable, but not college bound student towards career training and/or a college degree. We engage students at the high school level and inspire them to continue to pursue education in college and the workforce through collaboration with schools and community organizations. The Coordinator offers individual advising, presents group workshops, and assists students with researching college and career options.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interacts on a daily basis with high school students and families in the assigned high school to provide relevant information about postsecondary education and the college choice/financial aid processes:
- Encourages each student to consider a broad range of appropriate college choices
- Develops a comprehensive college timeline, including application deadlines for admission and financial aid for each student
- Helps each student complete and submit admissions and financial aid applications
- Assists each student in interpreting correspondence from colleges, including offers of admission and financial aid
- Carries out the curriculum of The College Advantage program in assigned high schools.
- Visits classrooms, assemblies, and club meetings to offer services and emphasize the necessity of postsecondary participation
- Partners with local community groups—particularly Local College Access Networks (LCANs)—to provide college access services outside the school setting and hours
- Hosts regular workshops for the families of students to discuss topics relevant to college preparation
- Establishes productive collegial relationships with principals, school counselors, college and career coordinators and teachers in assigned high school as well as other community-based college access professionals
- Assesses, in consultation with WSU Tech and the high school, the particular assets and needs of the assigned school, and adapt and adopt programs and activities to reinforce existing efforts to expand the services provided to students and avoid duplication
- Assists in the assessment and long-term sustainability of the program
- Assists WSU Tech to identify, collect, and interpret key progress and outcome data to evaluate the effectiveness of The College Advantage.
- Submits progress reports to your supervisor documenting progress and output data
- Represents WSU Tech, as requested by the program staff, to potential supporters and other interested parties
- Builds and maintains expertise in admissions and financial-aid advising
- Participates fully in training.
- In consultation with your supervisor, seeks out and participates in other opportunities for professional development
Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skills Needed:
- Bachelor’s degree in any subject area from a regionally accredited institution. Experience in recruiting, college admissions, student services or school counseling preferred.
- Ability to effectively partner with students, faculty, and staff including those from diverse backgrounds
- Previous experience demonstrating strong leadership abilities, influencing others in a positive manner while achieving goals, and effectively communicating ideas and generating support for ideas
- Ability to serve independently and analytically, exercise discretion and good judgment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; proficient computer skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects; strong planning and organizational skills
- Willingness to handle complex and detail-oriented tasks and projects
- High energy, creativity, ability to assume responsibility; take initiative and develop new programs
Other Position Requirements:
- Work effectively and productively as a team member. Keep others informed of information needed. Treat others with respect, maintaining a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintain effective and professional verbal and written interactions with peers, customers, supervisors and other staff. Use diplomacy and tact in dealing with difficult situations or people. Demonstrate effective listening skills. Is receptive to constructive feedback.
- Maintain acceptable overall attendance record, to include department meetings, all-employee meetings/trainings as required. Ensure appropriate notification to supervisor for absences, and ensure that work is covered. Be flexible in work schedule when needed.
- Produce quantity of work necessary to meet job requirements.
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to handle new assignments, changes in procedures and business requirements. Identify what needs to be done and take appropriate action.
- Complete assigned work; meet deadlines without reminders/follow-up from supervisor or others.
- Perform work conscientiously with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to travel independently to, from, and in between campus, service site and other program areas.
- Participate in a minimum of 20 hours professional development activities per year to remain current with industry trends and advancements.
Must be able to work in a multi-tasked, high-volume environment, completing multiple and competing priorities. Daily attendance is required to meet the needs of students and prospective students. Attendance is required at meetings and in-services some of which may be out of the area. Schedules may fluctuate to accommodate student or College needs, deadlines and delivery of services. Long periods of sitting and/or standing will be required. Extensive data entry/typing. Sufficient vision and hearing are required to complete the work and interact with students, staff, faculty and the public. Independent travel by car or public carrier is required to enable flexibility to work at alternate campuses/locations when needed. Evening and weekend work may be required. Work schedule will be as needed and required by administration to accomplish assigned duties.
7/5/2018 12:00:00 AM