To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Marion County
Job Title: Equipment Operator
Department: Road & Bridge
Reports To: Road & Bridge Superintendent, Road Supervisor and/or Bridge/Culvert Supervisor
Under the supervision of the Road & Bridge Superintendent, Road Supervisor and/or Bridge/Culvert Supervisor, the Equipment Operator I is a non-exempt position under the FLSA which performs skilled work in operating different types of construction and maintenance equipment. The employee in this position operates a variety of heavy equipment requiring a great degree of skill in performing a variety of job assignments. Work follows prescribed policies and procedures. This employee also performs manual tasks related to road and bridge maintenance and construction.
- Operates heavy equipment, such as tractors and compacting rollers, loader, sand spreader, motor graders, skid steer and other heavy equipment;
- Operates paddle scraper, backhoe, wheel loaders, dump truck, power broom, lowboy, tractor and roller, steel drum roller, sign truck, mower tractors, snow plows, cutting torch & welder, chain saws, winch truck, crane truck;
- Drives trucks and other vehicles when needed;
- Cleans ditches and culverts;
- Assists with road-rebuilds and other projects;
- Breaks up asphalt on roads needing repair or replacement;
- Lays materials for sub-base or on a hard gravel roadbed;
- Trims trees and removes debris;
- Digs out ditches for drainage when installing culverts;
- Hauls rock, asphalt, sand, equipment and other materials
- Assists other areas with heavy and light equipment operations;
- Reports problems with bridges;
- Performs maintenance on vehicles/equipment;
- Uses personal vehicle for checking roads, burning brush and cutting trees;
- Calls Dig Safe;
- Maintains flexibility to be on call 24 hours a day.
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
Equipment Operator I
Minimum Position Requirements
Experience: At least one year of road and bridge maintenance and heavy equipment operator experience preferred. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well after six months in the position.
Education: High school diploma or GED or equivalent combination of experience and/or training. A CDL Class A driver’s license is required within three months of hire.
Skills: Knowledge of road and bridge materials and equipment and equipment maintenance. Knowledge of safe and efficient operations of related equipment. The ability to receive, interpret and follow instructions. The ability to operate a tractor and roller, loader, backhoe, and other heavy and light construction and road maintenance equipment..
Problem Solving: Limited problem solving exists in this position.
Decision Making: Limited decision-making exists in this position. Work follows prescribed policies and procedures.
Accountability: Employee is responsible for county equipment, but is not responsible for budgetary control of the department and does not participate in the annual budget process.
Supervision: Supervision is provided and job related decisions are reviewed.
Personal Relations: Occasional contact with other county departments and continual contact with the general public, both on and off duty.
Working Conditions: Physical effort, manual labor and heavy lifting are required. Adverse weather conditions, exposure to dust and pollens, traffic and working with heavy equipment are factors in this position.
Physical Requirements: Physical activity is required such as lifting, bending, climbing, pushing and sitting while working with equipment at construction sites. The ability to operate controls on heavy equipment. Requires lifting heavy objects. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
7/9/2018 12:00:00 AM