To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: WSU Tech
Division: Student Services
Job Title: Academic Advisor
The Academic Advisor will seek to increase enrollment, retention and completion rates of students in assigned programs. Work with new and returning students to create degree plans, provide referrals to internal and external resources, and actively participate in the early warning alert process.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports efforts to convert prospective students into enrolled students through outreach and follow up in order to meet enrollment goals.
- Assists students through the enrollment process by helping them understand how to do business with the college and be ready to learn on the first day of class.
- Advises and assists students in the selection and scheduling of courses.
- Helps students understand the available support services at the college as well as community organizations in order to maximize their opportunity for success.
- Provides students with information via phone, email, and U.S mail
- Encourages student retention and persistence by helping them identify and avoid potential barriers.
- Maintains knowledge of all College programs and resources; maintains academic records and information in the ERP system.
- At all times, engages in and promote teamwork, courtesy, legal compliance, policy compliance, and safety in the WSU Tech workplace.
- Attend meetings and training sessions.
- Projects an image of professionalism, including in conduct, communication, and dress.
Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skills Needed:
- Associate Degree or equivalent required, Bachelor’s preferred
- Two or more years of professional experience working in higher education preferred.
- Experience handling international student applications and/or recruiting preferred.
- Ability to work with a diverse population.
- Ability to maintain calm and positive demeanor in stressful or tense situations
- Excellent customer oriented written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- User-level knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel are required. Knowledge of SharePoint is preferred.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize with strong organization skills.
- An operating knowledge of Student Services software, such as Banner, is required within three months of entering the position.
Other Position Requirements:
- Work effectively and productively as a team member. Keep others informed of information needed. Treat others with respect, maintaining a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintain effective and professional verbal and written interactions with peers, customers, supervisors and other staff. Use diplomacy and tact in dealing with difficult situations or people. Demonstrate effective listening skills. Is receptive to constructive feedback.
- Maintain acceptable overall attendance record, to include department meetings, all-employee meetings/trainings as required. Ensure appropriate notification to supervisor for absences, and ensure that work is covered. Be flexible in work schedule when needed.
- Produce quantity of work necessary to meet job requirements.
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to handle new assignments, changes in procedures and business requirements. Identify what needs to be done and take appropriate action.
- Complete assigned work; meet deadlines without reminders/follow-up from supervisor or others.
- Perform work conscientiously with a high degree of accuracy.
- Participate in a minimum of 20 hours professional development activities per year to remain current with industry trends and advancements.
Must be able to work in a multi-tasked, high-volume environment, completing multiple and competing priorities. Daily attendance is required to meet the needs of students and prospective students. Attendance is required at meetings and in-services some of which may be out of the area. Schedules may fluctuate to accommodate student or College needs, deadlines and delivery of services. Long periods of sitting and/or standing will be required. Extensive data entry/typing. Independent travel by car or public carrier is required to enable flexibility to work at alternate campuses/locations when needed. Evening and weekend work may be required. Work schedule will be as needed and required by administration to accomplish assigned duties.
7/10/2018 12:00:00 AM