To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Abilene
Job Title: STREET LABORER
Salary: $0 Hourly
Position Title: Street Laborer
Position Summary: The City of Abilene, Public Works Department, is accepting applications for a full time Street Laborer position. This position is responsible for operating a variety of equipment and manual labor in the maintenance of streets, signs, storm drains and flood control. Must be at least 18 years of age with a high school diploma or G.E.D. A valid Kansas Driver's license is required. A "Class A" Commercial Driver's License is required within 12 months of employment. The City offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. A full job description and applications are available online
How to Apply: Complete On-Line Application at www.HRePartners.com.
Range: Ranges 1 and 2 - $13.06 to $19.02
Date Opened: July 209, 2018
Date Closed: Open until filled
Hours: M-F 7am – 4 pm
The City of Abilene conducts background checks and drug screening on all potential candidates.
The City of Abilene is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Department Public Works Street Department
Reports To Street Supervisor
FLSA Status Non-Exempt (eligible for overtime pay)
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
Under the supervision of the Street Supervisor, the Street Laborer I is a non-exempt position under FLSA which performs semi-skilled and unskilled labor in the repairs and maintenance of streets and alleyways. This position is responsible for operating a variety of equipment. This position performs manual labor in the maintenance of streets, signs, flood control and storm drains. This employee should possess a strong mechanical aptitude, and the ability and willingness to learn quickly.
Essential Job Functions:
- Repairs streets, alleys, and curbs;
- Patches pot holes;
- Assists with city park maintenance;
- Operates light and small departmental equipment;
- Hauls rock, sand, and gravel to construction sites;
- Installs and replaces street makers and signs.
Ancillary Job Functions:
- Assists other departments as the need arises;
- Makes repairs to water and sewer lines;
- Assists with chemical spraying;
- Spreads salt on streets during inclement weather;
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
Education and Experience: (Combination of education, training, and experience will be considered)
- High school diploma or equivalent; technical degree or some college credit in a related field preferred.
- Must acquire a CDL within 12 months
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: (Not all inclusive)
- Above average knowledge of equipment maintenance and construction tools.
- Ability to read and interpret written instructions, and effective oral and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to operate a trucks, hand tools, and small motorized equipment.
- Knowledge of the safe and effective use of hand tools for equipment repair.
- Ability to establish and maintain successful working relationships with other employees, City officials, businesses, and the public.
- Ability to work under general supervision and make responsible decisions.
- May be required to work in confined spaces, hazardous traffic conditions, or high/dangerous places.
- May be exposed to wet/humid conditions, inclement outdoor weather, vibration, extreme temperatures, mechanical oils, airborne particles/fumes, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents/chemicals, or loud noise levels.
Physical Abilities: (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions)
- Must be able to sit, talk, hear, feel attributes of objects, grasp, push, stand, walk, drive, reach with hands/arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, balance, operate mechanical equipment, and move up and down from/to sitting position on the floor.
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist/hand/finger movement and manual dexterity.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
7/20/2018 12:00:00 AM