To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: Dickinson County
Job Title: Deputy Patrol
Salary: $16.23 Hourly
The Deputy Sheriff I performs general law enforcement duties in the protection of life and property within Dickinson County. Work involves patrolling county areas, enforcing all federal, state and local laws and ordinances, security compliance with traffic violations and making preliminary investigations at the scene of a crime or traffic accident. Work in this position involves an element of personal danger. The employee in this position must be able to act without direct supervision and to exercise independent judgment in crisis situations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Comply with all countywide and departmental policies and procedures.
- Perform general law enforcement duties in the protection of life and property.
- Enforce all federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
- Patrol county and related areas to preserve law and order.
- Answer a variety of calls and complaints involving automobile accidents, robberies, domestic disturbances, and other misdemeanors and felonies.
- Conduct preliminary investigations on various cases unless otherwise directed.
- Contact witnesses and make arrests.
- Serve civil court processes and warrants.
- Perform security checks of businesses and residential properties upon request.
- Complete reports and records.
- Assist with training new officers.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of emergency vehicle.
- Prepare court documents and warrants as well as court testimony.
- Administer alcohol and drug screens when necessary.
- Transport prisoners to court, medical appointments, and other facilities.
- Transport juveniles in SRS custody.
- Receive and answer complaints and requests from the general public.
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with customers, co-workers and management.
- Performs various office functions such as photocopying.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of office policies and procedures, state and federal regulations.
- Knowledge of law enforcement techniques, federal, state and local ordinances.
- Knowledge of psychology, sociology, or criminal justice.
- Knowledge of special weapons and tactics.
- Thorough knowledge of canine training and narcotics.
- Ability to operate emergency vehicles, radios, firearms, fingerprinting equipment, video equipment, computers, and other related law enforcement equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively in presentations, one-one-one, or in a group settings.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
- Proper use of grammar and spelling.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing using the English language.
- Skills in organization, mathematical processes, time management and a high degree of computer proficiency.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to interact well with others.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Able to make independent decisions, use good judgment, accept results and receive constructive feedback in an appropriate positive manner.
- Able and willing to work with others toward achieving common goals. Demonstrate understanding of the importance of teamwork. Display positive attitude and support county policies and communicate properly.
- Demonstrate initiative in execution of work, comprehend instructions without close supervision and volunteers to assist others, produces the expected volume of work.
- Execute work thoroughly, accurately and in an organized manner.
- Accept responsibility and complete work assignments on schedule, without undue delays and within other established parameters.
- Maintain acceptable attendance and arrives and leaves at the prescribed times.
- Dress and groom appropriately for the job.
- Keep work area neat and orderly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION
High school diploma or GED
No felony or domestic convictions
Must be 21 years old
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Kansas Driver’s license
Within the first year of employee will be a Certified Kansas Law enforcement Officer
Certified in carrying equipment and firearms
Certified in Intoxilyser use
Certified in Radar and other department equipment use
The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, sit, and use hand to finger, hand or feel. The employee is occasionally required to walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally life and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
8/8/2018 12:00:00 AM
8/31/2018 11:59:59 PM