To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: WSU Tech
Division: AA/Gen Ed & Health Sciences/Title III
Job Title: Academic Coach (Tutor) Health Sciences HUB
The Pathways to Success in Health Sciences grant project of $2,248,645 is 100% funded through the U.S. Department of Education’s Title III Strengthening Institutions Discretionary Grant Program. This project and any products or services procured related to it are funded by a grant awarded by the U.S. Department of Education’s Discretionary Grant program. The product was created by the grantee and does not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Education. The U.S. Department of Education makes no guarantees, warranties, or assurances of any kind, express or implied, with respect to such information, including any information or linked sites and including, but not limited to, accuracy of information or its completeness, timeliness, usefulness, adequacy, continued availability, or ownership.
The Academic Coach provides academic support to students through content and skills tutoring, individualized mentoring services and caseload management in health sciences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides tutorial and laboratory assistance to all health sciences students to improve their academic performance through collaborative learning and skills resources.
- Provides intrusive mentoring services tailored for health sciences students through face-to-face and virtual presentation.
- Maintains effective communication and works collaboratively with faculty and staff in all departments of the College to improve opportunities for student success.
- Maintains documentation for tutoring and mentoring services provided to health sciences students.
- At all times, engages in and promotes legal compliance, policy compliance and safety in the WSUTech workplace.
Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skills Needed
- A bachelor’s degree or (or associate’s degree with 2 years relevant experience) in biological science, education or health-related field.
- Experience in health sciences, biological science or education required.
- Teaching and/or tutoring experience in post-secondary education is preferred.
- Experience working with high-risk and non-traditional students preferred.
- Proficient use and knowledge Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook is required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Other Position Requirements:
- Work effectively and productively as a team member. Keep others informed of information needed. Treat others with respect, maintaining a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintain effective and professional verbal and written interactions with peers, customers, supervisors and other staff. Use diplomacy and tact in dealing with difficult situations or people. Demonstrate effective listening skills. Is receptive to constructive feedback.
- Maintain acceptable overall attendance record, to include department meetings, all-employee meetings/trainings as required. Ensure appropriate notification to supervisor for absences, and ensure that work is covered. Be flexible in work schedule when needed.
- Produce quantity of work necessary to meet job requirements.
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to handle new assignments, changes in procedures and business requirements. Identify what needs to be done and take appropriate action.
- Complete assigned work; meet deadlines without reminders/follow-up from supervisor or others.
- Perform work conscientiously with a high degree of accuracy.
- Participate in at least 20 hours of professional development activities to remain current with industry trends and advancements.
Must be able to work in a multi-tasked, high-volume environment, completing multiple and competing priorities. Daily attendance is required to meet the needs of students and prospective students. Schedules may fluctuate to accommodate student needs, deadlines and delivery of services. Evening and weekend work may be required. Work schedules will be as needed and required by administration to accomplish assigned duties. Attendance is required at meetings and in-services some of which may be out of the area. Long periods of sitting or standing will be required. Sufficient vision and hearing are required to complete the work and interact with students, staff, faculty and the public. Independent travel to by car and public carrier is required to enable flexibility to work at alternate campuses when needed. Evening and weekend work may be required. Work schedule will be as needed and required by administration to accomplish assigned duties.
8/3/2018 12:00:00 AM