Employer: City of Derby
Job Title: Mechanic
Salary: $17.40 Hourly
100% Maintenance and Repair
· Conduct mechanical repairs and service work on all types of engines, city machinery, and equipment.
· Identify defects and troubleshoot problems with city equipment, and order and install parts as needed.
· Repair brakes, water pumps, radiators, carburetors, joints, front ends, and all other similar mechanic repairs.
· Replace clutches, bearings, pressure plates, flywheels, and starters.
· Mount and balance tires.
· Work on fire apparatus and emergency equipment.
· Organize and maintain all motor pool equipment in a safe and working order.
· Provide assistance with the inventory of parts and records.
· Prepare all records of maintenance and service work performed.
· Stock parts and supplies in a neat and orderly manner and notify supervisor when parts and supplies need to be ordered.
· Operate motor vehicle and other equipment on a regular basis.
· Work on 12V and 24V vehicle electrical systems.
· Use DVOM multi-meters to identify, diagnose, and repair electrical failures.
· Repair A/C and heating systems.
· Operate tire changer and balancer.
Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed in order to address business needs.
Latitude: Most duties are defined and consistent from day to day. Moderate problem solving is required. Decisions are reviewed by supervisor. All purchase requests are referred to supervisor.
Interaction: Frequent interaction with employees throughout the organization. Occasional interaction with vendors.
· High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
· Three years automotive mechanic or related experience, preferred.
· Technical training and certifications, preferred.
· Automotive mechanic or related experience, preferred.
· Valid Kansas driver’s license and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Knowledge of basic automotive, truck, and heavy equipment operations and functions.
· Ability to operate all department equipment.
· Ability to meet and deal tactfully with employees and the general public and communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
· Knowledge of diagnostic equipment, software, and procedures.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions: Some exposure to adverse weather conditions, high noise levels, hazardous elements, and dangerous situations. Regular (50%) carrying, lifting, moving of 50 pounds. Frequent bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, manual dexterity, and hand/eye coordination throughout the day.
9/7/2018 12:00:00 AM