To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Riley County
Job Title: Medical Clerk - WIC Division
Salary: $14.89 Hourly
RILEY COUNTY, KANSAS JOB DESCRIPTION
Department: Reports To:
Health Department WIC Supervisor
POSITION SUMMARY: The WIC clerk assists the WIC Dietitians in providing direct services to clients at the Riley County Health Department WIC office in Manhattan, Kansas and off-site locations (Ft. Riley and Wamego). Work requires good judgment, multi-tasking and professionalism. Position involves maintaining accountability for the office, data entry, answering multi-line phone, and scheduling.
- Answers incoming calls, provides information, and/or directs calls using courteous telephone etiquette. Makes appointment reminder calls.
- Schedules WIC appointments within delineated time frames to meet WIC processing standards; reschedules appointments as needed.
- Greets and checks in clients for WIC appointments using customer courtesy.
- Ensures daily outcomes for all scheduled appointments are accurate and completed through No Show Management. Maintains daily papers in organized files.
- Confidentially determines income eligibility of persons applying for WIC.
- Issues and accepts WIC transfer papers.
- Responsible for distribution of WIC benefits, maintains accountability for eWIC cards.
- Performs multiple tasks at once while maintaining a calm, professional, and helpful attitude.
- Refers clients to appropriate support services.
- Conforms to HIPAA privacy regulations specific to position held. Creates and records PHI. Has authority to use the following categories of PHI: patient demographics and scheduling information. Disclosures are only allowed as necessary for treatment to providers and/or Business Associates or as required by law. May need to interact with the following departments for allowable access to PHI: Primary Care, Family Planning, Immunizations, and M&I.
- Ensures copy machine, computer, and other equipment is in working order. Coordinates for service repairs, with permission.
- Provides breastfeeding promotion and support as appropriate.
- Coordinates packing and paperwork for mobile clinics.
- Interfaces with other Health Department activities.
- Assists in tracking those attending low risk nutrition education classes and appointments.
- Involved with outreach activities as needed.
- Meters mail. Checks and takes action on returned WIC mail.
- Attends staff meetings monthly. Attends other meetings as needed.
- Ensures a client and child-friendly clinic environment.
- Receives a minimum of 2 education opportunities per year consistent with WIC job responsibilities plus required civil rights training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: A high school diploma or GED required.
Experience: At least one year clerical and/or receptionist experience in a clinical care setting. Appropriate education or training may be substituted for the required experience. Experience with the operation of specialized office equipment, particularly computers is required. Recent experience in medical billing and coding is helpful.
Skills: Demonstrated ability in typing and knowledge of basic or commonly-used office rules, procedures and operations. Must have ability to work with the public. Must understand and demonstrate basic computer skills. Excellent verbal and phone communication skills. Bilingual English/Spanish is helpful.
Supervisory Controls: The employee plans and carries out the successive steps and handles problems and deviations in the work assignment in accordance with instructions, policies, previous training, or accepted practices.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Guidelines: Procedures for doing the work have been established and a number of specific guidelines are available.
Complexity: The decision regarding what needs to be done depends upon the analysis of the subject, phase, or issues involved in each assignment, and the chosen course of action may have to be selected from many alternatives.
Scope and Effect of Work: The work involves the execution of specific rules, regulations, or procedures and typically comprises a complete segment of an assignment or project of broader scope.
Personal Contacts: The personal contacts are with employees in the same agency, and outside the immediate organization. People contacted generally are engaged in different functions and kinds of work performed for the county. Also a substantial number of contacts are made with members of the general public.
Purpose of Contacts: The purpose is to obtain, clarify or give facts or information regardless of the nature of those facts. The facts or information may range from the easily understood to the highly technical. Distributing and providing educational information is included.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, reach with hands and arms; talk and hear with both ears. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color identification.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to a normal noise level. Public health facility is a smoke free environment.
Approved: Date: (Supervisor)
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related or a logical assignment of the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirement of the job change.
10/1/2018 12:00:00 AM