Employer: City of Wellington
Division: GOLF DEPARTMENT
Job Title: DIRECTOR OF GOLF
Wellington being the county seat, is a progressive community situated in the heart of Sumner County about 25 miles south of Wichita. Blessed with great schools and neighborhoods, Wellington is well positioned for development and future growth in the existing Industrial Park, the Municipal Airport Park and the East Highway 160 corridor to the Kansas Turnpike. The city operates electric, water, and wastewater utilities, and is home to an exceptional golf course. Wellington is seeking a candidate with outstanding communication skills, high-energy and a positive outlook. Salary range is $42,063. to $49,171. with benefits, EOE, Drug-free workplace. We encourage you to submit a resume with this application, but if not able, please complete this application and email resume to email@example.com or mail to City of Wellington, ATTN: Human Resouces, 317 S. Washington, Wellington, KS 67152
Under the general supervision of the City Manager the Director of Golf is responsible for the operation, management and maintenance of the Wellington Municipal Golf Course/Club. The Director supervises city staff in the maintenance and care of the golf course and the Director operates, manages and supervises the Clubhouse and concessions as an individual proprietor per separate agreement. The Director of Golf exercises considerable independent judgement in directing golf operations. Must have and maintain a valid Kansas Driver’s License. General work performance is reviewed by the City Manager.
- Plans, organizes and directs golf course operations; recommends improvements and modifications, prepares various reports on operations and activities; oversees and coordinates golf course maintenance;
- Supervises and works with the maintenance staff to keep all parts of the course including greens, tees, fairways, rough, bunkers, trees, waterways and buildings property maintained and ensures the proper care and cultivation of shrubs, trees, and flowers, pruning, trimming and spraying, including the application of pesticides, fertilizer, fungicides, and insecticides to treat golf course grounds;
- Complies with the water usage and pesticide application requirements of the State of Kansas and maintains records and files the necessary and required reports of such usage;
- Provides staff to operate the Clubhouse and to adequately and properly police the course to insure orderly play thereon;
- Supervises, manages and operates the Clubhouse and concessions located at the Golf Course per separate agreement, maintaining the Clubhouse and golf cart storage building in a clean, neat and orderly condition;
- Oversees all golf programs and activities including tournaments, junior golf programs, golf clinics, special groups, instruction, retail promotions, and other events on the premises;
- Maintains records of golf rounds, passes issued and locker and cart storage rental;
- Supervises collection of golf course related fees; prepares bank deposits; and organizes receipts;
- Plans and oversees implementation of marketing programs for the golf course and facilities;
- Oversees the irrigation program and irrigation system to ensure proper operation and maintenance;
- Supervises and controls all maintenance expenses associated with golf course operations, including golf course maintenance equipment, payroll, supplies, chemicals and fertilizers;
- Develops annual operating budget and plans for maintenance and capital improvement projects;
- Responsible for the completion and submission of all necessary and required operational, maintenance, and financial records and reports;
- Attends weekly staff meetings as required by the City Manager.
- Assists with and performs necessary grounds and equipment maintenance work when necessary;
- Attends training, professional development and seminars related to essential job functions or future job functions as required;
- Assists other city departments when the need arises;
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required and/or assigned.
Experience: Any combination of experience and education that provides the desired skills, knowledge and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Two or more years of experience in turf management, landscaping, golf shop management operations, and/or work as an arborist is preferred.
Education/Licenses: Any combination of experience and education that provides the desired skills, knowledge and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job. A degree in business or agronomy would be helpful. Membership in the PGA and/or Golf Course Superintendents Association helpful. Must have and maintain a valid Kansas Driver’s License. Must obtain, within one year of employment, and maintain a State of Kansas Pesticide Applicator license.
Technical Skills: Considerable knowledge in methods, equipment and materials used in maintaining a golf course; good knowledge of general repair and maintenance procedures; good knowledge of practices and principles of effective supervision; working knowledge of automatic irrigation systems. Ability to anticipate personnel, equipment and material requirements related to course maintenance and repair assignments. Knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules and methods of play. Considerable skill in planning and assigning work to subordinates; skill in keeping records and budgetary matters. Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with other persons and to communicate effectively and clearly using the English language verbally, in writing, and electronically. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Problem Solving: Frequent problem solving exists in this position. Typical problems involve dealing with grounds and building maintenance needs with a limited budget, resolving equipment malfunctions, and dealing with inclement weather that can impact operations and events.
Decision-Making: Frequent decision making exists in this position. Decisions involve scheduling daily tasks to use staff in the most productive manner, determining the most efficient prioritizing of maintenance work and grounds upkeep, and determining long-term goals and projects for golf course operations.
Supervision: Limited direct supervision provided relating to daily job functions. The position has supervisory responsibility over subordinate personnel. General work performance is reviewed by the City Manager.
Accountability: Responsible for the efficient operation of the Wellington Golf Course/Club. Responsible for the proper collection, recording and reporting of all fees related to golf operations and for the efficient use of time and materials.
Personal Relations: Daily contact with the general public and personnel of other City departments.
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an office and field environment. Some hazardous working conditions may exist in this position relating to the operation of equipment, chemicals used, and in the variety of maintenance and repair tasks performed. Adverse weather conditions when performing outdoor work is a factor. The employee must work the days and hours necessary to perform all assigned responsibilities and tasks.
Physical Requirements: The employee is frequently required to walk, climb, kneel, stoop, sit, communicate, reach, and manipulate objects, tools, or controls. The position requires mobility, manual dexterity and ability to operate a motorized vehicle. Ability to lift, carry and/or move an object up to one hundred (100) pounds occasionally, and/or up to fifty (50) pounds frequently, and/or twenty-five (25) pounds regularly.
10/1/2018 12:00:00 AM
10/22/2018 11:59:59 PM