To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of McPherson
Division: Police Department
Job Title: School Crossing Guard
Salary: $11.57 Hourly
School Crossing Guard
City of McPherson Police Department
Under the supervision of the Assistant Administrative Secretary, at the direction of the Chief of Police, the School Crossing Guard is an non-exempt position under FLSA, which regulates vehicle and foot traffic while guiding children across roadways to and from school in McPherson.
- Arrives for duty at the time and place designated, attired appropriately and with all equipment serviceable;
- Assures that children conform to traffic regulations at the designated crossing;
- Reports children who fail to cooperate to the appropriate authority as necessary;
- Ensures a safe, orderly ingress and egress for all drivers, parents, students, and school faculty/staff;
- Reports traffic violations to the Police Department;
- Observes, detects and reports conditions that jeopardize the safety of persons and property;
- Cultivates good relations with all citizens and is especially friendly and helpful to children;
- Performs in a manner that builds public confidence;
- Follows pedestrian safety procedures and practices.
ELEMENT OF RISK
- Performs other duties as needed or assigned.
SCHOOL CROSSING GUARD
Experience: Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within one week of employment.
Education: A high school diploma or GED is required.
Technical Skills: The ability to concentrate on tasks in the presence of distractions and to understand and anticipate problems is required. This employee should possess excellent public relation and oral communication skills to express or exchange ideas.
Problem Solving: Some independent problem solving is involved in this position.
Decision Making: Some independent decision-making is involved in this position. This employee makes decisions about performing daily duties in the safest and most efficient manner.
Supervision: This employee works with little supervision from the Police Administration Captain, at the direction of the Assistant Chief and/or the Chief of Police.
Financial Accountability: This employee is responsible for the safe handling of department equipment.
Personal Relations: Daily contact with the general public is expected.
Working Conditions: Adverse working conditions exist within this position. Exposure to excessive noise and adverse weather conditions is expected. This position contains an element of risk to personal safety while performing the day-to-day duties.
Physical Requirements: The ability to stand and to walk for long periods of time in varying weather conditions is required. Hearing and visual acuity are required to receive information, observe general surroundings and for depth perception.
Residential Requirements: Must obtain residency within McPherson County
***The specific statements shown in this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job
10/11/2018 12:00:00 AM