To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Garnett
Job Title: SANITATION COLLECTION
Under the supervision of the Director of Public Works, the sanitation collector performs manual work associated with refuse collection. The position involves both light and heavy labor. Jobs are assigned with minimal supervision provided.
Examples of Work
* Loads and unloads the sanitation truck;
* Carries refuse both in containers and bundles;
* Cleans out hoppers and washes truck;
* Operates heavy automotive equipment used in collection of refuse and trash;
* Operates truck compactor and hydraulic system;
* Performs minor mechanical maintenance and service work on equipment;
* Checks oil, water and fuel levels, changes oil and greases trucks;
* Cooperates with the public along the collection route;
* Supports other departments on projects;
* Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
Experience: This is an entry level position and no experience is required. CDL required, or the ability to obtain such required licensing within 6 months. In the event certification testing is necessary, the city will provide vehicle and pay licensing fees. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within three months in the position.
Education: High school diploma or GED required.
Skills: Thorough knowledge of refuse truck routes, maintenance of equipment, and hazardous materials. Ability to operate a diesel truck, hydraulic trash compactor, and other related equipment.
Problem Solving: Limited problem solving in this position. Problems include watching for children, pedestrians, vicious dogs in roadways, and vehicles backing out of driveways.
Decision-Making: Limited decision making exists in this position. Decisions include what items cannot be safely lifted and compacted, and when an item may be hazardous waste. Simple decisions are made on a daily basis.
Accountability: Employee does not have budgetary control of the department and does not participate in the annual department budget process.
Supervision: Limited supervision is provided and job related decisions are occasionally reviewed. Employee does not have supervisory responsibilities over subordinate personnel
Personal Relations: Frequent contact with other city departments and the general public.
Residency: The employee working in this position is required to reside within Anderson County.
Working Conditions: Manual labor is required in this position. Adverse weather conditions and handling hazardous material are factors in this position.
10/25/2018 12:00:00 AM