Employer: Sedgwick County
Division: Public Works
Job Title: Equipment Operator III
Salary: $14.474 Hourly
Veterans' Preference is available for this vacancy.
To receive Veterans' Preference, you must supply a copy of your DD214 to the Human Resources department at Sedgwick County after applying.
Maintains and operates a wide variety of equipment used in the support and operation of County construction projects. Participates in snow and ice removal operations
Essential Job Functions:
Operates heavy equipment with a high level of proficiency
- Operates motor graders, bulldozers, front-end loaders, backhoes, pneumatic rollers, excavator and other similar equipment.
- Operates specialized equipment associated with construction, repair and maintenance of County infrastructure
- Operates equipment for clearing right of way, trenching and back filling.
- Operates asphalt equipment in road construction, repair and maintenance.
- Performs ditch grade leveling operations.
- Performs preventative maintenance and makes minor repairs to assigned equipment
- Performs manual work associated with equipment operations
Construction, repair and maintenance of County infrastructure
- Loads and places sand, earth, rock, asphalt and other road construction material.
- Maintenance, repair and replacement of work zone and basic roadway signage
- Sets up work zones for road construction projects.
- Wears PPE and follows local, state and federal safety regulations
- Occasionally plans, directs and supervises the work of a small crew
Participates in snow and ice removal operations
- Operates a dump truck with blade and spreader to clear roads of snow and ice
- Operates loader to load material for snow & ice removal
- Operates a motor grader for snow and ice removal
- Maintains equipment in good condition
- Ensures equipment is cleaned, fueled and loaded for follow on shift
- Reports problems immediately to shift supervisor
- Fills in for shift supervisor when necessary
Initiative: Takes action without being asked or required to. Achieves goals beyond job requirements. Identifies opportunities and issues, and proactively acts and follows through on work activities to capitalize or resolve them
Customer Focus: Makes customers/clients and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; shows interest in and understanding of the needs and expectations of internal and external customers; acts with customers in mind and strives for continuous improvement in products and services. Gains customer trust and respect; meets or exceeds customer expectations.
Teamwork: Participates as an active and contributing member of a team to achieve team goals. Works cooperatively with other team members, involves others, shares information as appropriate, and shares credit for team accomplishments
Communication: Clearly conveys and receives information and ideas through the appropriate methods; demonstrates good written, oral, and listening skills
Adaptability: Adapts well to changes in assignments and priorities; adapts behavior or work methods in response to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles; approaches change positively and adjusts behaviors accordingly; focusing on being part of the solution
Educational Requirements: High School diploma or equivalent
Years of Experience: Two years experience operating medium to heavy equipment
License, certifications, etc. Valid Kansas Commercial Drivers License Class A with tanker endorsement
Years of Experience: Two years experience in road construction
Physical Requirements of Position:
Heavy work. Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects
The employee is required to have visual acuity to operate motor vehicles and/or heavy equipment
Usual working days/hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Location of work: Andale Yard - 5858 N 247th St W
Salary Range: $14.474 - $21.180 hourly
The employee is subject to hazards. Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals, exposure to adverse weather conditions.
*Please note this job posting is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice*
*This position may be filled or closed to further application without notice. Must be at least 18 years of age to work for Sedgwick County*
It is the policy of Sedgwick County not to discriminate in its programs or services provided to the general public, including employment and all other activities, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other similarly protected status. Sedgwick County is committed to making the application, interview, and pre-employment testing process accessible to persons with disabilities. If you wish to volunteer information regarding any special assistance you may need, please notify Crissy Magee, Sedgwick County ADA Coordinator, by phone (316) 660-7056, TDD (Kansas Relay at 711 or 800-766-3777), or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send resumes or application status request or employment questions to this email or phone number. This information is provided only for those requiring ADA assistance. Applications must be submitted on www.hrepartners.com. You will be contacted should the department feel that you are a qualified candidate. Sedgwick County will prohibit the hiring of spouses and/or immediate family members within the same department, but not within the County structure.
11/5/2018 12:00:00 AM
11/19/2018 11:59:59 PM