To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Liberal
Job Title: Human Resources Assistant
Human Resources Assistant
This position assists in supporting all areas of Human Resources. Duties include, but are not limited to, payroll processing, reporting, recruitment, and retention, analyzing and administering employee benefit programs, expediting and processing requests, maintaining confidential records, and executing policies and procedures. Work requires the exercise of a high degree of initiative, independent judgment, and discretion. Candidate must possess a skilled technical aptitude, be detail oriented, possess exemplary customer service and communication skills, be well organized, and have excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Adheres to federal, state, and local laws; comply with city policies and procedures; communicates, documents and processes all information according to laws/policies (FMLA, ADA, FLSA, GINA, etc.);
- Provides professional assistance to all staff and citizens; analyzes, prioritizes and efficiently expedites requests;
- Maintains the confidentiality of employee records. Ensures that all records are current and accurate. Provides access to employee records in accordance with laws and city policy;
- Updating job descriptions, composing job announcements and recruitment information; reviewing and evaluating applications; maintaining eligibility lists
- Conducts onboarding and offboarding processes; assures that all employment paperwork is complete and in compliance with the law; provides enrollment data to respective service providers; enters data into AS400 and on relevant service provider websites;
- Maintains benefit records;
- Assists employees and supervisors with basic interpretation of HR policies and procedures; provides assistance in resolution of personnel issues;
- Researches, compiles and responds to various reporting requirements, audits, and requests, to include but not limited to, ACA, EEO4, professional surveys, Medicare Disclosure, Worker’s Compensation, etc.;
- In conjunction with supervisory staff, assists Director in updating job descriptions, delivering employee training, open enrollment, staff development and in-service sessions;
- Processes insurance claims (life, unemployment, work comp);
- Ensures all employees have reviews on schedule and track current review listings
- Assists with the implementation and maintenance of various HR projects/programs as established by the Director—Employee Service Awards, Wellness Program,
- Complete background investigation on new employees (employment verifications, criminal background checks, drug/alcohol testing (as needed), etc.)
- Respond to employment verifications
- Managing confidential employee information
- Obtains and/ or maintains professional certifications and technical knowledge by attending seminars/classes, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies;
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
- Working knowledge of current human resources best practices; general office maintenance and practices; filing systems (alpha and numeric);
- Federal/state/local/agency regulations pertaining to HR management (i.e. ADA, FMLA, FLSA, COBRA, HIPAA)
- Bookkeeping principles, processing compensation, taxation, benefits and other deductions, etc.;
- Principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, and personnel information systems;
- Principles and processes for providing exemplary employee and personal services. This includes employee needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services
- Knowledge of AS400 preferred
- Initiate work, work independently and without instruction or supervision;
- Use critical thinking and professionalism to resolve problems and manage conflict effectively;
- React appropriately under pressure, handle and balance multiple demands at one time, work with frequent interruptions and perform duties and tasks with limited errors and a heightened attention to detail;
- Learn, remember and interpret a wide variety of information to include laws, City and departmental policies, etc.;
- Organize, read, analyze and interpret information; construct accurate and timely responses;
- Make administrative decisions and use good judgment in dispensing information to individuals;
- Maintain strict confidentiality related to personnel, HR and administrative information;
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, in a tactful and diplomatic manner that demonstrates exceptional customer service;
- Perform a variety of clerical and administrative work;
- Operate standard office technology to include office productivity software (Word, Excel, AS400 software, etc.), standard office technology (copier, fax, etc.) and website administration (internet/intranet);
- Develop effective working relationships with colleagues, City officials and the public.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
REQUIRED EDUCATION/OR EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma AND
- one to two years related experience and/or training;
- OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Office Environment; exposure to computer screens.
- Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for walking, standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time; extensive use of computer keyboard.
- Some positions will require the performance of other essential and marginal functions depending upon work location, assignment or shift.
- Some positions require the use of personal or City vehicles on City business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver's license and have an acceptable driving record. Use of a personal vehicle for City business will be prohibited if the employee is not authorized to drive a City vehicle or if the employee does not have personal insurance coverage.
11/6/2018 12:00:00 AM