To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Ottawa
Division: Community Development
Job Title: Building Inspector
Salary: $23.99 Hourly
Position Summary: The City of Ottawa, Kansas is recruiting for a Building Inspector. Under the supervision of the Chief Building Official, the Building Inspector is responsible for work in the enforcement and administration of construction codes/regulations of the City. Responsibility is primarily inspection of buildings during construction and enforcing compliance with construction standards. Limited examination of plans as needed. The employee's work and actions are subject to general policy determinations of the Chief Building Official. The employee will aid in the review and recommendations of the adoption of construction codes and ordinances.
Education and Experience: (Combination of education, training, and experience will be considered)
- High school diploma or equivalent required; associate or Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, or construction-related field strongly preferred.
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience without college degree; minimum of three years of relevant experience with degree.
- Combination Residential and/or Commercial Building Inspector certification by International Code Council (ICC).
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: (not all inclusive)
- Knowledge of international building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical codes; construction materials and methods; and federal, state, and City regulations.
- Ability to operate computer, multi-meter, and other related equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other employees, contractors, business entities, and the general public.
- Ability to deal with difficult citizens in a calm and patient manner.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work as well as concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work under general supervision and make responsible decisions.
- Ability to use good judgment and think quickly and rationally in difficult or stressful situations.
How to Apply: Complete On-Line Application at www.HRePartners.com.
Range: Grade 12 - $23.99 to $34.78
Date Opened: November 9, 2018
Date Closed: December 9, 2018
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Some overtime may be required.
E-Mail Confirmation: After your application has been received by the City of Ottawa, you will receive confirmation by e-mail. Please check your SPAM filter or JUNK Mail. If you have not received confirmation within 48 hours of submitting your application, please call 785-229-3634 to verify application has been received. For additional information, contact Human Resources at 785-229-3634 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Ottawa conducts background checks and drug screening on all potential candidates.
Anyone with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human Resources Department at 785-229-3634 at least two days prior to a scheduled test or interview.
The City of Ottawa is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
11/9/2018 12:00:00 AM
12/9/2018 11:59:59 PM