Employer: Garden City Community College
Job Title: TRIO -- Student Support Services SSS Advisor
Under the direction of the SSS Director, responsible for providing intensive support services to Student Support Services participants. The position works with students who are first generation, low income and with students with disabilities. The SSS Advisor will work with a case load of 80 participants on an individual basis to assist them in learning skills necessary to become successful students and to attain their educational and career goals.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Develop individual assessments on students meeting grant criteria.
- Provide advice on academic tutoring, applying for financial aid and scholarships, study skills, career exploration, academic advising, transfer counseling, and personal counseling.
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date student records and participant database documenting all aspects of the program.
- Plan, implement, coordinate and publicize cultural activities, SSS events and 4-year campus visitations.
- Some evenings, weekends, and occasional overnight travel required.
1. To provide timely, accurate, counseling and advising support.
2. To keep participant information confidential according to FERPA guidelines.
3. To maintain a professional work environment and appearance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Experience: Two years to five years of similar or related experience.
Education: A Master's degree in Counseling, Social Work or Education.
Interpersonal Skills: Courtesy, tact, and diplomacy are essential elements of the job. Work involves much personal contact with others inside and/or outside the college for purposes of giving or obtaining information, building relationships, or soliciting cooperation. Freedom from racial and ethnic bias.
Other Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills. Bilingual preferred.
Physical Requirements: The work requires minor physical exertion such as short periods of standing, walking over rough uneven surfaces, some recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities. Job may require recurring lifting of lightweight objects with infrequent bending or stooping alternating with the lighter activities. Job requires minimal agility and dexterity.
Work Environment: Occasional exposure to objectionable conditions or variations such as those found in variable weather conditions or light industrial settings.
Salary: Based on qualifications and experience.
Apply: Position will remain open until filled.
Starting Date: As soon as possible after selection.
To complete the application process, candidates must submit:
- Application letter expressing interest in position.
- Personal resume
- Fill out online application at www.hrepartners.com
- Copy of college transcripts and appropriate certificates
- Up to three current letters of recommendation submitted directly to the Director of Human Resources by the individual providing the reference
Contact: Human Resources Office
Garden City Community College
801 Campus Drive
Garden City, KS 67846
(620) 276-0362; FAX (620) 276-9573
Garden City Community College does not discriminate against applicants, employees or students on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit reasons, or handicap, nor will sexual harassment be tolerated, in its employment practices and/or educational programs or activities. Those concerned about the above should contact Human Resources, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9574.
Garden City Community College is complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and is committed to equal and reasonable access to facilities and programs for all employees, students and visitors. Those with ADA concerns, or who need special accommodations, should contact Melanie Hands, Coordinator of Disabilities, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9638.
11/19/2018 12:00:00 AM