Employer: Sedgwick County
Division: CH Police
Job Title: PT Courthouse Police Service Officer
Salary: $11.909 Hourly
Provides safety and security services in protecting the courts, employees, and citizens who occupy or use the Courthouse, Juvenile Courthouse, and other County facilities. He / she also is involved in protection of the property of Sedgwick County. Methods used include the use of Magnetometers, x-ray machines, hand scanning, physical pat downs, foot patrols and vehicle patrols. Detains persons wanted by warrant or commitment
Essential Job Functions:
Provides safety and security functions to preserve the public peace, and insures that dangerous items are kept out of the Courthouses.
• Provides lobby-screening to ensure unauthorized people, weapons and other dangerous/illegal objects/substances do not enter the building.
• Safely and efficiently greets and directs the public through the metal detectors and arranges x-ray screening of their property, to include hand scanning and physical hand searches of both persons and property, if needed, in a friendly and courteous manner.
• From the point position, greet and instruct the public on how to x-ray their belongings and approach and clear the metal detectors.
• The officer will check employee badges/LEO credentials and Fast Passes to insure they are current and valid, when they enter the lobby portal or pass the Control Center.
• The officer must be sensitive and alert to medical conditions which would necessitate a person to circumvent the scanning equipment, will notify other officers and send the persons around equipment to the hand scan position.
• The officer when working the tray position will greet and then ask the person to remove all items from their person. Visually and physically check the bowl or tray for prohibited and contraband/illegal items, and return the tray to the individual after they have successfully walked thru the metal detector.
• The officer when working the hand scan position will visually recheck trays and ask the person who alarms to recheck their pockets, hand scan completely, checking ankles by hand, and check all points that sound the hand scanner. He/she will Issue claim checks for all knives and other items to be held while a person is in the Courthouse. Assist the tray person in determining who does/does not clear the metal detectors.
• The officer working the x-ray position will visually check the image of all purses, bags, brief cases and packages that cannot be opened by hand, and ensure that property is picked up by the person who placed it on the belt. When a restricted item is found, they will notify the officer in the hand scan position, so it can be checked, or in the case of contraband assist with the arrest and restraint of the person.
• When working the Control Center- the officer will screen to ensure unauthorized people, weapons and other dangerous/illegal objects/substances do not enter the building.
• When working the Control Center- the officer will answer the telephone in a professional manner, monitor the Courthouse alarms, and will gather necessary caller information and dispatch officers as needed.
• When working the Control Center- the officer will monitor deliveries, the Maintenance Compound access, the West Gate access, and monitor the camera systems, remaining aware and alert to threats at all times.
Provides safety and security functions to preserve the public peace, by Roving Patrols-to deter illegal activities and confrontations, by a visual uniformed presence, and provides assistance to citizens.
• The Officer will provide a thorough check of the entire Courthouse complex by exterior and interior patrols.
• The Officer will Issue parking citations as warranted.
• Officers will escort persons as needed inside and outside the Courthouse.
• Officers will greet citizens and the public they come in contact with in a polite and professional manner, assisting and answering questions and giving directions whenever possible.
• Officers will make cases on police incidents, and will log required counts on the appropriate forms.
• Officers will respond quickly to alarms, and calls for assistance, notifying the Control Center or a supervisor they are in route to the call.
• Officers will handle the situation in a calm, professional manner.
• Officers will find a solution appropriate for the situation he/she encounters.
• When warranted, a Service Officer will detain suspects and request a Police Office to conduct arrests as required.
• Assistance calls- To respond quickly, in a safe and timely manner to calls for assistance/alarm calls, disturbance, entry and/or fire alarm reports, and/or reports of disruptive behavior within the Courthouse complex.
Provides safety and security services for the Courthouses, the District courts, the Protection from Stalking docket, the Protection from Abuse docket, the Domestic law dockets, tax foreclosure sales, the Small Claims Court, primary and general elections, and tax appraisal hearings as needed.
• As needed Officers will standby to protect a Judge, Jury, and courtroom occupants from possible harm.
• Officers will ensure a respectful attitude from participants in the courtroom by enforcement of District Court rules requiring the removal of hats, requiring proper attire and insuring cell phones are turned off.
• Officers will detain and arrest on commitment orders by a Judge or Hearing officer, or when notified of the existence of a warrant.
• Officers will respond quickly to calls for assistance notifying the Control Center as to the nature of the incident or event.
• Officers will handle all situations in a calm, professional manner, finding the solution appropriate for the situation.
• Service Officers will detain suspects as needed, and will request a Police Office to conduct arrests as required.
• Officers will complete a detailed incident report before the end of their shift, or follow the directions of supervision to extend the reporting time frame.
• Officers will report to work at their assigned time; provide adequate notice of absence and use leave time appropriately. They will safely operate assigned equipment and provide for proper use and maintenance of their equipment. Officers will keep their work area clean and orderly and use their time efficiently used for assigned tasks.
Customer Focus/Client Orientation: Makes customers/clients and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; makes a conscious effort to include diversity of input in all decisions; shows interest in and understanding of the needs and expectations of internal and external customers (including direct reports); acts with customers in mind and strives for continuous improvement in products and services. Gains customer trust and respect; meets or exceeds customer expectations.
Dependability: Takes personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work, and achieves results with little oversight.
Teamwork: Participates as an active and contributing member of a team to achieve team goals. Works cooperatively with other team members, involves others, shares information as appropriate, and shares credit for team accomplishments
Problem Solving: Breaks down problems into smaller components, understands underlying issues, can simplify and process complex issues, and understands the difference between critical details and unimportant facts.
Stress Management/Tolerance: Maintains effective performance under pressure; handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
Educational Requirements: High School diploma or equivalent
Years of Experience: 6 months minimum in a related field
Years of Experience: 2-3 years in a military, law enforcement, fire, or security related field. A sound history of stable job responsibility.
License, certifications, etc. Training and certificates related to military, law enforcement, fire, or security related topics.
Physical Requirements of Position:
The ability for standing, walking, running, stair climbing, and pushing wheel chairs. Must be capable of responding to emergency and exigent situations requiring the arrest or restraint of uncooperative persons.
Must be capable of perceiving images on X-ray machine monitors, and adequate visual acuity to perceive weapons and threats.
Portable radio, motor vehicle, metal detection equipment, x-ray machines, collapsible baton, pepper spray, Tasers, handcuffs, computers, telephone and cellular telephones
Usual working days/hours: Saturday & Sunday, 4:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
Location of work: 525 N Main, #112, Wichita, KS 67203
Mostly interior work, but some outdoor patrol and work under all environmental conditions. There will be occasional large crowds, high noise volume and dealing with difficult persons.
*Please note this job posting is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice*
*This position may be filled or closed to further application without notice. Must be at least 18 years of age to work for Sedgwick County*
It is the policy of Sedgwick County not to discriminate in its programs or services provided to the general public, including employment and all other activities, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other similarly protected status. Sedgwick County is committed to making the application, interview, and pre-employment testing process accessible to persons with disabilities. If you wish to volunteer information regarding any special assistance you may need, please notify Crissy Magee, Sedgwick County ADA Coordinator, by phone (316) 660-7056, TDD (Kansas Relay at 711 or 800-766-3777), or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send resumes or application status request or employment questions to this email or phone number. This information is provided only for those requiring ADA assistance. Applications must be submitted on www.hrepartners.com. You will be contacted should the department feel that you are a qualified candidate. Sedgwick County will prohibit the hiring of spouses and/or immediate family members within the same department, but not within the County structure.
12/3/2018 12:00:00 AM
2/3/2019 11:59:59 PM