To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of El Dorado
Division: Public Utilities
Job Title: Wastewater Treatment Operator
Public Utilities- Wastewater Treatment Operator
Pay Scale: 12.93-23.25 Hourly, Subject to on-call, call outs, and overtime. Excellent fringe benefit package. Physical mobility and drug and alcohol testing is required. The City of El Dorado is an equal opportunity employer. EEO/ADA. E-verification upon hire.
Position Summary: Responsible for the day-to-day monitoring and operation of the wastewater treatment and water reclamation facility, influent pump station, and elevated storage tanks. Classification
will be determined based on the mastery of skill and will be representative of their level of KDHE certification class.
- Collects wastewater samples, conducts specific tests measuring quality of the wastewater sample assuring accuracy for following the correct protocol for each specific test.
- Analyzes test results. Records results of the tests on daily work sheets assuring for accuracy and timeliness. Assures that the chemicals are properly balanced at all times.
- Conducts follow-up testing as instructed by assuring for continuous monitoring of water in process.
- Maintains an awareness of all chemicals, supplies, and equipment required to operate the plant.
- As needed, monitors the treatment process and makes appropriate changes. Assures that appropriate levels and amounts of spare parts needed to operate the plant exist in current inventory. Notifies supervisor of the need to reorder supplies and chemicals.
- Conducts operational tests and monitors all equipment assuring that all is operating within specifications.
- Maintains bio solids composting operations including, windrowing, turning, and temperature readings per 503 regulations.
- Assists with land application of bio solids.
- Maintains on-call status on a four week rotating basis, utilizing remote monitoring
- Reviews and examines new products and technology, field tests new products as they become available.
- Enters data in computer assuring for accuracy and timeliness.
- Assists with special projects and committee work as requested by supervisor.
- Exhibits positive attitude towards position, co-workers, supervisory personnel and the general public.
Maintenance Related Activities
- Follows a plan for routine preventive maintenance assuring that all equipment is to be monitored.
- Completes the plan assuring for thoroughness and for the proper operation of all equipment by listening, feeling, smelling, and observing.
- Maintains an ongoing awareness of the appropriate use of all equipment from manuals and other sources assuring that variances from the norm can be recognized.
- Identifies or receives notification of equipment requiring maintenance attention, and conducts a physical inspection of malfunctioning equipment and makes a diagnosis.
- Follows a plan for corrective action, assembles supplies and equipment needed to make the needed repairs, assuring that supplies and equipment are available.
- Completes the plan assuring for safety, and on occasion, provides instruction and training for personnel assuring for an optimal training experience.
- On occasion, communicates with outside contractors to obtain quotes and assistance to maintain City equipment and facilities.
- Communicates regularly with supervisor and others regarding process or status changes assuring for continuous communications.
- Maintains a log of the time the equipment has been in operation, maintenance activities, availability of equipment, and any unusual conditions concerning equipment, safety, or operating conditions that staff should be aware of and assuring for accuracy.
- Keeps Wetlands and Water Reclamation facility and equipment clean and free of safety hazards.
- Performs maintenance work in a variety of areas including plumbing, electrical and machine work.
- Assists other City departments as requested.
- Develops ideas or suggestions for improvements and modifications to the facilities. Obtains approval and makes the improvements and modifications to the facilities.
- Remote Station and Plant monitor Activities
- Monitors continuously the computers and sensors that record the remote station’s activities.
- Reacts to any malfunctions assuring for timeliness.
- Notifies the appropriate party of malfunction assuring for timeliness. In some instances conducts follow up to correct the malfunction assuring for safety.
- Conducts thorough plant checks assuring proper treatment and operation of equipment.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor; subject to reasonable accommodations
Education and Experience:
- Vaild Kansas Class B CDL
- One year of experience in water or wastewater treatment
- Ability to attain State of Kanas Wastewater System Operator Class I certification after 18 months on the job
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Wastewater treatment equipment and materials
- Monitoring requirements
- Laboratory testing, materials, and equipment
- Gases and chemicals associated with wastewater and wastewater treatment
- Basic electronics
- Operate computers
- Operate chemical feeding, pumps, safety, filtration, and laboratory equipment
- Solve problems with little supervision including issues with water quality, adjustment of chemicals, and employee scheduling
- Operate equipment including skid loader, dump truck, and tractor
- Concentration and prolonged mental effort
- Complexity of decision making considering for time pressure
- Analytical thinking
- Strength to handle equipment, tools, and objects of 75-100 pounds
- Dexterity of hands and fingers
- Balance and coordination (eye/hand, hand/foot etc.)
- Endurance, mobility, and agility
Office work is conducted in a well-lit climate controlled environment.
Out of the office work has above average:
- Weather and temperature extremes
- Accessibility of work sites including sites with chemicals and fumes
- Work place safety hazards including chemicals, heights, and below grade areas
- Overtime and extended workhours
- Exposure to dust, loud noises, darkness, and cramped spaces
12/3/2018 12:00:00 AM
12/17/2018 11:59:59 PM