To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: Geary County
Division: Community Corrections
Job Title: Life Skills Instructor
Salary: $16.56 Hourly
GEARY COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Life Skills Instructor
FLSA: Non-Exempt Salary: $16.56/hr.
Reports To: Community Corrections Director
Department: Community Corrections Date: December 2018
The job duties of the Life Skills Instructor include but are not limited to develop, coordinate and present a life skills curriculum for Adult Offenders supervised by the 8th Judicial District Community Corrections; and to provide responsive, courteous and efficient service to all county residents and the general public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties described below are indicative of what the Life Skills Instructor might be asked to perform. This job description is to incorporate any County Resolutions for the position of Life Skills Instructor. This position description is not designed to list all tasks and responsibilities of this position. Geary County reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need may arise. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Participate in the development and presentation of cognitive behavioral life skills curriculums.
- Assist with the determination of appropriate participants for classes offered.
- Monitor attendance of participants referred or ordered to complete cognitive behavioral programming.
- Maintain client progress notes for submission to Intensive Supervision Officers.
- Create documentation on program accomplishments for the Court, the Corrections Advisory Board and the Kansas Department of Corrections.
- Establish and maintain open communication with participants, officers and the Court.
- Maintain a good working relationship with all community agencies as well as the public.
- Perform related work as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required at the time of hire or for the continuation of employment.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, social work, counseling, or closely related field.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience working in the criminal justice field.
- Group facilitation experience required
- Participate in a minimum of 40 job-related hours of training each fiscal year, as funding allows.
- A valid Kansas driver’s license required.
- Must pass criminal background check, including Child Abuse and Neglect Central Registry check.
- Must reside within a 30 mile radius of worksite within 90 days of employment.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of Kansas criminal law needed as well as a strong understanding of the related Kansas Administrative Rule and Regulations.
- Knowledge of both KDOC state standards.
- Knowledge of evidence-based practices in corrections:
- Kansas Department of Corrections Standards.
- Kansas Criminal Code
- Kansas Sentencing Guidelines
- Kansas Juvenile Offender and Child-in-Need of Care Codes.
- Knowledge of the policies and procedures of Community Corrections.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures unique and specific to Geary County and the 8th Judicial District.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with probation departments, outside service providers, and the community.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with the public.
- Ability to take control of situations in a responsible manner.
- Ability to comprehend, retain and apply County, State, and Federal policies and legislation, i.e. local resolutions and ordinances, procedure manuals, warning labels, etc.
EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ability to operate various types of equipment – standard office equipment, computer and intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office software, etc.
- Other equipment could be required.
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a professional and friendly manner with customers, citizens, co-workers and management.
- Ability to communicate information and teach and train others in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to respond to complaints and grievances posed by the public.
- Ability to define problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
- Ability to use good judgment and effectively solve problems.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and work environments described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 20 pounds), grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Works primarily in an office setting.
- Nature of the work may place employee in varying levels of stressful situations.
- Possible physical danger exists occasionally as employee works with criminal population both in the field and in the office.
- Requires travel during the working hours.
- Requires work outside of the normal 8-5 daytime schedule.
- Due to the volume, scope, size of staff and nature of public service this office provides, full-time regular attendance is essential.
_____________________________ __________ __________________________ __________
Department Head Date Human Resources Director Date
I have reviewed the Job Description for the position of Life Skills Instructor as well as the list of expectations for 8th Judicial District Community Corrections employees. I understand the position requirements described and agree to uphold the requirements to the best of my ability. Any questions I may have in relation to the work required of the position shall be brought to the attention of my supervisor.
Employee Signature Date
12/3/2018 12:00:00 AM