To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Garnett
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Under the supervision of the city manager, the administrative assistant provides high-level administrative support to the city manager, and to department supervisors, while assisting office staff with citizen inquiries and utility billing processes.
As an administrative assistant, the employee in this position assists the city manager with various projects and reports and is frequently expected to act independently in performing daily assignments. The administrative assistant is given detailed instruction only when assignments vary from established procedures, and handles important and confidential documents and correspondence.
The administrative assistant is responsible for a variety of administrative and clerical duties to help maintain a well organized and efficient working environment within the city.
Examples of Work
- Assists city manager and department supervisors with a variety of reports, research, grants and surveys;
- Types, copies, distributes and files correspondence accordingly, and supports other office staff when needed;
- Assists the city manager when necessary by sending meeting notices, agenda materials and related correspondence to various boards and advisory committees in a timely manner prior to meetings;
- Assists the city manager whenever necessary by scribing minutes of meetings or hearings, such as board or committee meetings, or nuisance complaint hearings;
- Assists office staff with citizen inquires and utility billing processes;
- Other related duties as deemed necessary.
Experience: Experience in performing research, writing reports, grants, and marketing is preferred.
Education: High school diploma or GED is required, college degree and/or experience in a fast-paced office environment preferred.
Skills: Technical abilities expected include organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to communicate well, and the ability to perform tasks with minimal supervision is a must. The administrative and clerical procedures and knowledge of computer systems and applications, such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms and spreadsheets, and other office and accounting procedures. The ability to operate a computer, typewriter, calculator, copier, fax machine and other related office equipment. Proficient in Microsoft Office. Knowledge of city and state ordinances. Communicates proficiently in writing and when talking to others conveys information effectively. Managing one’s own time efficiently.
Problem Solving: Problem solving includes handling citizen complaints and assisting others with clerical tasks.
Decision-Making: Limited decision making regarding the proper performance of assigned tasks. Decisions involve determining the correct department to channel public complaints and inquiries and setting priorities on assignments.
Supervision: Limited supervision is provided and decisions are always reviewed by the city manager.
Personal Relations: Continual contact with other city departments and the general public.
Residency: The employee working in this position is required to reside within Anderson County.
Working Conditions: No adverse working conditions exist in this position.
12/1/2018 12:00:00 AM
12/31/2018 11:59:59 PM