Employer: Butler County
Division: County Attorney
Job Title: Assistant County Attorney I
Salary: $51006.59 Annually
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the County Attorney, the Assistant County Attorney I is a professional position responsible for the prosecution of adult felony, misdemeanor and traffic offenses, as well as juvenile offenses. The employee in this position supervises legal work in preparation for and presents court cases involving violations of state statutes. The Assistant County Attorney I advises officers and county officials on federal, state and local laws and ordinances.
Examples of Work (Essential Functions):
• Accepts or rejects complaints from private citizens;
• Advises citizens as to their rights or refers them to other sources;
• Conducts research on specific points of law;
• Determines and files proper charges;
• Performs and assists in the preparation of appeals;
• Performs and assists in the preparation of motions;
• Prepares legal opinions;
• Prosecutes statutory misdemeanor violations, traffic and felony cases to the court or to a jury;
• Represents the state in Child In Need of Care cases, mental illness cases, domestic violence cases, juvenile offenders, drug abuse cases and habitual traffic violators;
• Selects juries, presents evidence, examines and cross-examines witnesses, assists in the preparation of instructions and presents final arguments in court;
• Prepares exhibits and evidence for presentation in court;
• Reviews journal entries and documents requiring action;
• Works with and provides education and training to law enforcement agencies, court service agencies and various groups;
• Performs other duties as deemed necessary or as required.
Examples of Work (Marginal Functions):
Certificate, License: Valid driver's license. Licensed by the State of Kansas to practice law.
Required Education and/or Experience: JD degree required. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well after six months in the position. Civil or criminal litigation experience. 12 hours continuing legal education yearly required.
Preferred Education and/or Experience: Eight years or more related experience and a JD degree ; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abilities, Knowledge, Skills:
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume;
• Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry;
• Ability to effectively litigate cases in a court of law;
• Ability to express or exchange ideas by means of communications;
• Ability to convey and receive detailed or important instructions and information to and from the general public;
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form;
• Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, judge, jurors;
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents;
• Ability to reliably and predictably carry out duties;
• Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints;
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists;
• Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style;
• Knowledge of the rules of evidence and court proceedings;
• Skill in legal writing and research aptitude;
• Skill in oral and written communication.
Problem Solving: Extensive problem solving exists in this position. Problems include managing caseloads so as not to miss deadlines and finding appropriate resources to assist the victim(s).
Decision Making: Extensive decision-making exists in this position. Decisions include determining if there is sufficient evidence to prosecute cases and when to file Child In Need of Care cases.
Accountability: Employee does not have budgetary control of the department and does not participate in the annual budget process.
Supervision: Occasional supervision is provided and job related decisions are reviewed by the County Attorney. Employee has supervisory responsibility over subordinate personnel. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include supervising direct reports through coaching, interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Personal Relationships: Continual contact with other county departments and the general public.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is not regularly exposed to adverse working conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The work may involve urgent deadlines and upset customers.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, grasp, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Lifting, moving, pushing or pulling up to 10 pounds does not generally occur. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus, distance vision.
12/10/2018 12:00:00 AM