Employer: Geary County
Division: Public Works
Job Title: Building Maintenace Assistant
Salary: $14.26 Hourly
GEARY COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Building Maintenance Assistant (71522)
FLSA: Non-Exempt Salary Range: 14 $14.26/hr.
Reports To: Building Maintenance Supervisor PCN: PW1006
Department: Public Works Department Date: December 2018
The job duties of the Building Maintenance Assistant include but are not limited to perform general building custodial duties, grounds upkeep, move furniture, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and assist with maintenance tasks under the supervision of the Buildings Maintenance Supervisor; and to provide responsive, courteous and efficient service to County residents and the general public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties described below are indicative of what the Building Maintenance Assistant might be asked to perform. This job description is to incorporate any County resolutions for the position of Building Maintenance Assistant. This position description is not designed to list all tasks and responsibilities of this position. Geary County reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need may arise. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Plumbing. Performs work in the installation, repair and maintenance of water supply lines and DWV. Sweats copper. Works with galvanized, cooper, lead and copper lines. Cleans sewer drains. Repairs water closets, faucets, showers, lavs and other plumbing fixtures. Troubleshoots plumbing issues and devises plans to fix issues.
Electrical. Performs work in the installation, repair and maintenance in electrical lines. Replaces receptacles, light bulbs, ballasts, switches, lighting fixtures and other electrical issues. Troubleshoots electrical issues and devises plans to fix issues. Replaces breakers in panels. Works with both 110v and 220v.
Carpentry. Performs rough and finish carpentry as needed. Frames walls, installs doors, finish drywall, installs millwork. Troubleshoots problem areas and devises plans to fix issues. Fix broken framing members. Finishes millwork appropriately.
HVAC. Conducts routine maintenance on HVAC units. Changes filters as needed. Troubleshoots issues with blowers, air mixing boxes, heathers and cooling units.
Grounds Maintenance. Operates a variety of grounds maintenance equipment including: commercial riding mowers, push mowers, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, chainsaws, aerators, and other equipment. Maintains plant beds, shrubs and trees. Fertilize plants and spray chemicals as approved. Assist with snow removal from sidewalks, steps/landings using shovel and snow blower. Assists in the construction, maintenance and repair of sidewalks and stairs. Completes roofing repairs and external building repairs.
General Custodial. Perform custodial duties at Public Works Department. Move furniture, set up tables and chairs for meetings. Pick up parts/supplies as needed. Move equipment, large-volume records around, among and between offices and storage facilities. Remove garbage, empty waste paper baskets, and recycling containers and dispose of these in an appropriate manner. Sweep outside steps/landings. Clean and sanitize public bathrooms, room fixtures, dusts, mops, vacuums, and sweeps floors. Assist with hazardous materials clean-up. Maintains logs of maintenance activities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required at the time of hire or for the continuation of employment.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent.
- Two (2) years custodial and maintenance experience.
- Ability to obtain a Class B Kansas CDL within one (1) year of employment.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of principles and practices of building maintenance including heating, air conditioning, ventilation, electrical, plumbing and general construction and building custodial.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with the public.
- Ability to take control of situations in a responsible manner.
- Ability to comprehend, retain and apply County, State, and Federal policies and legislation, i.e. local resolutions and ordinances, procedure manuals, warning labels, etc.
EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ability to operate various types of equipment I.e. powered floor equipment, snow removal equipment and lawn/garden tractors.
- Other equipment could be required
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a professional and friendly manner with customers, citizens, co-workers and management.
- Ability to communicate in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to communicate and convey information regarding policies and processes to others in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to respond to complaints and grievances posed by the public.
- Ability to define problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
- Ability to use good judgment and effectively solve problems.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and work environments described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 75 pounds), grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Works in both an indoor setting as well as outdoors.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather when required.
- Due to the volume, scope, size of staff and nature of public service this office provides, full-time regular attendance is essential.
_____________________________ __________ _______________________ __________
Supervisor Date Department Head Date
Human Resources Director Date
EMPLOYEE REVIEW: I have read the above, and understand that it is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for performing this job. It is not an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. I have been given a copy of this description.
_______________________________ ___________ _____________________________________
Incumbent’s Signature Date Incumbent’s name printed
12/10/2018 12:00:00 AM