To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Saline County
Division: Sheriff's Office
Job Title: Corrections Officer I
Salary: $14.32 Hourly
Veterans' Preference is available for this vacancy.
To receive Veterans' Preference, you must supply a copy of your DD214 to the Human Resources department at Saline County after applying.
Corrections Officer Hiring Incentive:
- $500 upon completion of a satisfactory or better six-month evaluation.
- $1,000 upon completion of a satisfactory or better one-year evaluation.
- See below for conditions.
*If an email address is provided, all correspondence will be via email. Email notices will be sent from the address email@example.com. We recommend you begin checking your email for correspondence after the application deadline date. If you have not received a confirmation within 48 hours of submitting your application, please call 785-309-5812 to verify application has been received*
Advancement Opportunities Available through Corrections Career Tract. Must be a Corrections Officer I for 12 months and successfully complete probation to promote to Corrections Officer II. Must be Corrections Officer II for 12 months and have satisfactory evaluation to promote to Corrections Officer III.
This position requires shift work, 6AM-6PM or 6PM-6AM and bid by seniority. Work 80 hours in a two-week period. To ensure that the best candidates are hired for the positions, the selection process is fairly extensive. An applicant may be screened out at any step. Applicant must be able to provide credible courtroom testimony. Applicant must not have any criminal convictions (adult or juvenile) including diversion agreements, expunged convictions or sustained policy violations for any act of dishonesty or racial bias.
The steps are:
- Background investigation and records check.
- An entry-level police/corrections test.
- Board interview.
- An interview with the Sheriff.
- Additional written testing, including psychological screening.
- A physical examination, including a drug screen.
Job duties include:
- Provide correctional duties in the jail facility
- Supervise inmates housed in booking
- Operate video equipment
- Photograph and fingerprint inmates
- Process paperwork and maintain records
- Supervise inmate workers
- Record visitors and monitor visitation
- Perform jail checks and inmate counts
- Perform searches
- Maintain security for all outside security doors
- Monitor cameras and intercoms
- Administer over the counter medications
- Attend required training
- Perform miscellaneous law enforcement duties and testify in court cases.
- Must be 19 ½ years of age at time of hire.
- Must have a High School diploma or the equivalent.
- Must have good clerical skills.
- No felony or domestic violence convictions including diversions and expungements.
- Serious misdemeanor convictions will be evaluated including diversions and expungements.
Corrections Officer Hiring Incentive Conditions:
- Corrections Officers hired shall remain eligible for the program as long as they remain employed in the Corrections Division. If an employee transfers to another Division or Department, they will no longer be eligible for the remainder of the retention incentive.
- Corrections Officers shall remain eligible for the incentive as long as they remain employed at the Saline County Jail. If an employee transfers to another Division or Department, they will no longer be eligible for the remainder of the retention incentive. Promotion of an employee within the Jail will not negate the incentive.
- Corrections Officers who voluntarily terminate employment from the County within 24-months of receiving their first incentive payment under this program will have any lump sum payments they received as a result of this program withheld from their final pay (regular pay, vacation, etc.).
- Employees who transfer from the Jail, will not be eligible to re-enter the program if they decide to seek re-employment at the Jail.
- Payment of the incentive shall occur during the next eligible payroll cycle for the employee meeting the employment threshold.
- Payment of the incentive shall be included in the employee’s bi-weekly pay, minus all taxes, KPERS contributions and any other mandatory deductions as required by law.
- Employees who start in the program will remain eligible for the program even if it is terminated by the County Commission.
For additional questions or a complete job description contact:
Marilyn Leamer, SHRM-SCP, IPMA-SCP, PHR
Human Resource Director
12/31/2018 12:00:00 AM
3/3/2019 11:59:59 PM