Employer: City of Garnett
Job Title: Recreation Coordinator
Salary: $25000.00 Annually
The City of Garnett is accepting applications for the position of Recreation Coordinator. Under the supervision of Parks & Recreation Director, the person filling this position will be responsible for developing, implementing and supervising a variety of programs, including athletic and social recreational activities, meeting the interests of the community. College degree in recreation services or related field preferred, or equivalent experience and training will be considered. Paid vacation, sick leave, health insurance, and retirement benefits through KPERS. Starting salary range $12-$14.50 per hour, based upon qualifications and experience. For full job description and to apply, please visit www.simplygarnett.com or www.HRePartners.com. Applications accepted until January 25, 2019 or until filled. E.O.E.
Under the supervision of the parks and recreation director, the recreation coordinator determines the community needs and interests, and develops plans for a variety of programs in athletic and social recreational activities to meet the interests of the community. The employee in this position plans, assigns and schedules the work of subordinate employees, maintains an effective working relationship with other employees and the public. This position requires the ability to promote the efficient use of the city’s recreation facilities and programs.
This position requires duties to be performed in conjunction with activities that are scheduled during evenings and weekends.
Examples of Work
* Supervises and schedules activities of subordinate personnel;
* Prepares reports, news releases, posters and flyers pertaining to specific recreation programs;
* Maintains and develops programs with community, civic, school, religious and social groups;
* Meets with the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board;
* Plans, organizes, schedules, and evaluates athletic programs and other special events;
* Oversees the use of recreation facilities and equipment, including maintenance of facilities, maintaining inventory of supplies and equipment, and assist with ordering when necessary;
* Assists in managing online recreation software and maintains 24-hour entry system and security system affecting the recreation center and other facilities;
* May perform open and close of operations of recreation facilities, including some custodial maintenance work and safety checks on facilities.
* Oversees baseball, softball, soccer, basketball, special events and new program activities;
* Facilitates the collaboration of ball teams with sponsors, and coaches and players;
* Schedules games with designated umpires and referees, and coordinates rescheduling due to rain-outs;
* May at certain times run equipment to maintain or prepare fields for play and operate machinery and equipment;
* Supports other departments on projects;
* Other related duties as deemed necessary.
Experience: One to three years of experience of recreation management or related field experience preferred. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well after six months in the position.
Education: High school diploma or GED required. College degree in recreation services or related field preferred, or equivalent experience and training. First Aid and CPR Certification or ability to obtain within six (6) months of employment desired.
Skills: Thorough knowledge of the recreational activities, principles, practices and types of equipment used. Planning and coordinating experience, good oral and written communication skills. Thorough knowledge of field and equipment maintenance.
Knowledge of word processing, desktop publishing, spreadsheets and other recreation related computer software. Ability to prepare reports and maintain records.
Knowledge of developing and administering recreation programs for adults and youth; working knowledge of the rules of a variety of sports, and the ability to perform duties with little to no supervision.
Understanding of fitness equipment and how it works.
Ability to work under stressful situations; ability to stay calm and have excellent problem-solving skills.
Problem Solving: Frequent problem solving exists in this position. Problems involving scheduling activities, maintenance, and handling citizen concerns and complaints.
Decision-Making: Frequent decision making exists in this position. Decisions concerning setting up new recreational programs and coordinating schedules of activities and facilities.
Accountability: Employee will participate in the annual departmental budgetary process.
Supervision: Supervision is required and job-related decisions are reviewed by the Parks and Recreation Director. Employee has supervisory responsibility over subordinate personnel, which includes part-time and seasonal staff.
Personal Relations: Frequent contact with other city employees and continual contact with the general public.
Residency: The employee working in this position is required to reside within Anderson County.
Working Conditions: Manual labor is required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally life and/or move up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts that are moderately noisy or in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals. Adverse weather conditions with early morning, evening and weekend work hours required.
1/1/2019 12:00:00 AM
1/31/2019 11:59:59 PM